• Create Account

How can I work around NAT with Virtual Sockets?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 futurewavecs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 January 2002 - 06:43 AM

This is my first post on this site though I have been visiting it for some time. I have been writing some online games and they work great over my LAN. They are very basic applications. I started with them to get back into the programming saddle and get my skills back to where they needed to be. Anyway, I found out that there is a growing trend with ISPs to your NAT (Natural Address Translation) to manage their IPs. This is much worse than Dynamic IPs in terms of setting up a game. In fact, some commercial games will not work online via the net due to this. My LAN applications will not work. I need some direction towards information that can get me to modify my code so, it will use virtual sockets or whatever to bypass NAT and still function. I have clues that this might be accomplished by using Virtual Sockets. I have not found any good resources for doing this. This is likely to be an increasing problem game developers will need to work around. ------------------ Keep it simple

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS