• Create Account

source code?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

#1 death_jester   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 January 2002 - 11:30 AM

I just downloading some source code.When i open a file it gives me some gibberish,heres a sample: PK -~+* save6.aesPK8ª''*K6¸eÅ5 ARENA.dspíWmoÚH<thorn>)ÿaνIÕê¨?Z“„ ÆÂ?½T''¡õz€½Ø^Ë/ ù÷7ë^ §~¨tˆÙÙ™gŸ?Y´y´¼?‘à±Lä<Ñ—Æà?™''$رüy =á#ü°¥µ''|ÕÖhh3<thorn>Àã§ãÖï<thorn>¸¼xs-?ÇRô “ ßËQßAOÆKáƉ?!ÜÔêu…óö-c°ÆS0?Á”†—Ê=mOúÓ{Ûí«› ¸Z}¼1†®IÛQäÎRÒ ¾ª¿¯7UZ·¥o嬉t‘f ›-./~™ZÓî›0]SèÊ<2_x°œÅL%¸9ãT…EeQ2D„°FíÏæ»-¨,ASC0W‘ŒS•(Àe°õ?3p+cËÌÑ@ŸCQåqjûCïeœ…?DÈÅü™hsÎÅ"‹óy´ÃÓCµP¸f1•ì>ƒG´ò9E6`tj@uÊTZS-/B*?àS‘?·§WxåuÙ-¼¶Ã–I"\Uª¥˜Ó2»›bñ!ß- how do i get that into c++ and then into my complier?

Sponsor:

#2 KalvinB   Banned   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 17 January 2002 - 11:32 AM

That''s not source code.

Where did you get it?

Ben

[The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | Programming | Gang Wars | The Wall]

#3 death_jester   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 January 2002 - 11:42 AM

Those idiots!I got if off of some place on google.

#4 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 17 January 2002 - 11:49 AM

Looks like a zip file. Do you have WinZip installed? Are you trying to open with Netscape (you shouldn''t).

#5 krez   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 443

Posted 17 January 2002 - 11:53 AM

what language is it supposedly for (some save source code in non-ascii formats i think)? what was the file extension of the file you downloaded?

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

#6 Bezzant   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 January 2002 - 12:12 PM

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Looks like a zip file. Do you have WinZip installed? Are you trying to open with Netscape (you shouldn''t).

/me thinks the AP is correct, i recognise the "PK" signature, plus you can see an "ARENA.dsp" in there.

thus, you shall have to d/load winzip to view and extract the files you want.

#7 death_jester   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 January 2002 - 05:10 AM

Does winzip run on Mac?

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 18 January 2002 - 05:16 AM

Dude.. You should of goten a DELL.

#9 jenova   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 January 2002 - 05:20 AM

DELL. hmmph. stay away from name brand companies. stay, far, far away.... build your own, you will save yourself a lot of headaches.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

#10 Bezzant   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 January 2002 - 07:07 AM

quote:
Original post by death_jester
Does winzip run on Mac?

well, guessing by the name WinZip that it only runs on windows. but no doubt theres a mac alternative some place.

google - try there.

#11 Oluseyi   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1678

Posted 18 January 2002 - 07:37 AM

Stuffit Extractor from Aladdin Systems.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

#12 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 19 January 2002 - 09:19 PM

Or Maczip, hehe

#13 death_jester   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2002 - 04:00 PM

I downloaded maczip,now how do i get that source code to work?i have no clue how to work this thing.

#14 laotzu   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2002 - 04:04 PM

Well, I don''t have a mac so I don''t know for sure...

but if you do a quick search on google for ''using maczip'', it looks like it turns up how to do just that.

#15 LessBread   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1411

Posted 20 January 2002 - 04:12 PM

Use maczip to extract the files inside the archive. You might have to download the archive again. If the file opened up inside your web browser and you saved it from there, you''ll have to download it again since it will now be text instead of binary.

Once you''ve successfully unpacked the archive, open the source code with an ide (integrated development environment) and have at it. Try compiling it and see what kinds of errors the compiler spits out. These are called "compile time" errors. Try fixing them, then compile again. Hopefully you''ll eventually get the sources to compile without errors.

Then you''ll have to try running the resulting program. Any errors manifesting here are called "runtime" errors - also known as "bugs".

From here you''re on your own.

‘But truth's a menace, science a public danger.’ Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

#16 death_jester   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2002 - 04:14 PM

archive?whats that?

#17 black_mage_s   Banned   -  Reputation: 103

Posted 22 January 2002 - 06:55 AM

no offense, but maybe you should learn the basics of using your computer before you try and modify SOURCE CODE!

I know this is the for begginners forum, but this is just ridiculous

#18 Bezzant   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 January 2002 - 09:32 AM

quote:
Original post by black_mage_s
no offense, but maybe you should learn the basics of using your computer before you try and modify SOURCE CODE!

I know this is the for begginners forum, but this is just ridiculous

you took the words out of my mouth.

#19 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 22 January 2002 - 09:56 AM

> Then you''ll have to try running the resulting program. Any errors manifesting here are called "runtime" errors - also known as "bugs".

Seeing the coding style of some people, I think the word ''bug'' can definitely also be applied to source code, wether it compiles or not...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS