• Create Account

Making a new programming language...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Maiku   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2002 - 09:50 PM

On SourceForge I found some projects that included the group creating their own programming language. Now sorry if this is a complete newbie question, but how are new programming languages made?

Sponsor:

#2 falsk   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 January 2002 - 11:57 PM

It all starts with a dream...

#3 MadKeithV   Moderators   -  Reputation: 971

Posted 21 January 2002 - 12:10 AM

Making a "new programming language" usually translates to building a compiler. That's quite an involved subject - our Compilers course at university spanned two terms, and we still only got the "basics" of a compiler.

There are several good books on the subject (Modern Compiler Implementation in C/Java/ML is the textbook we used).

Basically, you start off with a "Lexer" - something that converts a text-file into something more computer-readable. Then, a "Parser" converts the output of a lexer to an abstract syntax tree (have I lost you yet?). Then, the compiler back-end converts the abstract syntax tree into a stream of assembler commands, using various techniques.

If you want to learn more about it, I suggest you try to find a book about it, or search the net for a compiler tutorial, I think there are a few around.

Edited by - MadKeithV on January 21, 2002 7:11:11 AM

#4 Dr Chi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 January 2002 - 02:24 PM

trying to learn a language is one thing but making a whole new one?!

very ambitious! but I wish you good luck

#5 python_regious   Members   -  Reputation: 929

Posted 22 January 2002 - 05:03 AM

Why would you want to? Be sure that it has a use, or do it just for fun

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.

#6 Maiku   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 January 2002 - 10:06 AM

I don''t want to make one.. I was just curious on how they were made.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS