display colors and resolution *** improving the wheel

Started by
2 comments, last by lifeline 22 years, 2 months ago
It seems the newer my computer gets, the fewer older games that will play successfully without system modifications. I''ve been searching through the msdn archive, microsoft support, and some of the game sites for the solution to programs that don''t automatically adjust display for 256 colors, 640X480 resolution. Of course, I like my daily setting at true color and 1024X768. I have programs that handle this resizing just fine, but don''t know how they''ve coded them. I''ve noticed lots of copies of mss32.dll on my computer and wondered if that or another dll might be the simple answer. Visual Basic looks kind of "bulky" to program and I haven''t learned a lot of C++ yet. I found a program that stores game "profiles" to change the display settings when you start the game, but I would like to work this out so that I don''t waste system resources with something waiting in the background. If I run some code and then call the game "exe" how do I exit back to my daily settings? Would that even work? I know this isn''t the first time someone has asked this question, but I haven''t had any luck tracking down the answer. TIA
Advertisement
I don''t know how much you know of C, but if you''ve got VC++ I can give you some pretty simple code for a command line program that will do this.
As a matter of fact I''ve already written it for you, but I won''t post it unless you can use it

It takes command line parameters of:
1. program you want to run
2. res. width
3. res. height

Lemme know if you want it...

--Samah
I would really appreciate it. I have VC++6.0

Just mailed some code to you
Actually all it does is changes the resolution - doesn't run external programs. So just make a shortcut to it for each resolution you want to run, and make another to reset the resolution.

--Samah

Edited by - mln_samah on January 28, 2002 7:03:12 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement