• Create Account

Question about Dialogs and windows...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jackthemeangiant   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 January 2002 - 03:23 PM

When it comes to win32 programming, I am a beginner, and I am wondering is there a difference between dialogs and windows?..or are they the same thing. I have read through a few tutorials, and what I understood from them is that you will have a main window, then everything else you create is a dialog. Is this correct, could someone please explain this to me =) Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Colin Jeanne   Members   -  Reputation: 1114

Posted 24 January 2002 - 06:37 PM

Dialogs and windows are the same thing really. The functions used to create dialogs are actually macros that call CreateWindowEx() according to MSDN.

The difference is in connotation, when I say dialogs, I mean the resources and when I say window I mean one that I made using CreateWindowEx().

Also, you can have a dialog be the main window. When I don't need/want much control over my main window I just make it a resource.

*EDIT.... forgot to mention....

A dialog's callback function is also slightly different than a window's. You've probably noticed while going through the tutorials. I also believe that there a dialog specific messages (like WM_INITDIALOG)

Invader X
Invader's Realm

Edited by - Invader X on January 25, 2002 1:43:10 AM

#3 LessBread   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1411

Posted 24 January 2002 - 07:58 PM

With a dialog based app, you don''t have to setup and register the WNDCLASSEX structure the way that you would have to otherwise.

#4 Jackthemeangiant   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 January 2002 - 01:04 AM

Alright, thanks, that makes more sense =)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS