• Create Account

How Do I Make A Game Engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
39 replies to this topic

#1 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 02:27 PM

How Do I Make A Game Engine That Is Like Final Fantasy. I Just Need To Know How To Make A Game Engine And Then I Think I Can Make Any Kind But I Don''t Know How To Make Any Kind At All. All Help Is Appreciated. Thank You!

Sponsor:

#2 Martee   Members   -  Reputation: 476

Posted 31 January 2002 - 02:37 PM

First question: Do you know how to program? If the answer is no, then start here.

#3 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 02:45 PM

I do not well but i do.

#4 Maximus   Members   -  Reputation: 124

Posted 31 January 2002 - 02:50 PM

You will know how to begin making one when you are ready to begin making one.

-----------------------
chain=chain->chain;

#5 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 02:54 PM

But Maximus i think i am ready i just dont know where to start with making an engine because i have learned C++. Im not to good at it yet becuase i am rather new to the aspect but i want to know how to make an engine so do u think i will know how to make one when i become more familier with C++?

#6 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 31 January 2002 - 02:56 PM

Sea Cucumber Is Make Good Game Engine You Just HaveTo Use Createvety And Cooky Doh And Then I Think Any Kind OfEngine Canbe Made But You Have To Know How To Make Any Kind Of Engine At All. My Freind Says Use A Hecks Editer From Finel Fantesy For Kind Of Engine What Is That.

#7 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 02:59 PM

thanks Anonymous Poster but i dont know what A Hecks Editer From Finel Fantesy For Kind Of Engine

#8 MatrixCubed   Members   -  Reputation: 199

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:01 PM

Mods please remove this from forums...

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.cjb.net

[edit: in process... p.i.m.a]

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on February 1, 2002 7:35:35 PM

#9 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:19 PM

Stu i am really trying to get help and u just come on iin here and interupt me now no one is posting any messages i just wanted some help

#10 max621   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:19 PM

Do you know how to program: OpenGL/Direct3d? Matricies? Vectors? Culling? Linked lists? Model loading? etc..?
If you answered no to any of these, you aren''t ready to make a game engine like Final Fantasy (that''ll take a few YEARS before you even have a grasp on how its done)
/me points to nehe.gamedev.net (opengl) nexe.gamedev.net (directx)

bai

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
[url]http://bhp.e-chrono.net/
Resident expert on stuff
max621@barrysworld.com
||--------------------------||

#11 Martee   Members   -  Reputation: 476

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:20 PM

I wonder if they are the same person ...

#12 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:26 PM

Anonymous Poster he was just mentioning some stuff only i would know about and i didnt realicze it was him but sorry

Martee we are not the same person it was stuart my best friend he just likes to make me mad

max621 i cant answer yes to any of these things for example OpenGL/Direct3d i dont no really anything about them and i was hoping to learn a great deal and i was hoping for it to take a long time because the longer it takes the more i learn and the more practice i get

#13 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:34 PM

can anyone tell me of any place that i can get ll i need to no from because i am not good at searching the net

#14 Plasmadog   Members   -  Reputation: 205

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:38 PM

Imagine the biggest book you ever saw. Think of how much text is in such a book. That is about half as much text as would be required to answer your question in the sort of detail a complete beginner would need. That is why you will not get a useful answer here. Maybe you are not a complete beginner, but your question certainly does not give that impression.
The first thing you should learn is how to ask a sensible question.

#15 Kwizatz   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1182

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:41 PM

ok, here are the instructions:

1) buy a book on the api you want to use, focusing on game development (DirectX, OpenGL, etc.) [commercial] check the book section here or in my site [/commercial]
2) read the book you bought, and understand how to write and how does a game framework program works
3) sit down and carefully write down the characteristics you want on your engine (2d,3d, 2d-3d mix, targeted for RPG''s,FPS,RTS, Platformer, etc).
4) write down what you will need to acomplish the objectives you wrote in 3 (reading X kind of file, implement colision detection, AI, write doen a file spec for your world map, etc)
5) get back to your framework program and fill it with the implementation of the ideas you got on 4
6) make notice of what things you forgot on point 4
7) while (yourgame!=whatyouwanted) { gobackto(4) }
8) you are done.

happy coding

#16 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:42 PM

i am almost a complete beginner and i know that i am not very good at asking questions and thank you for saying so

#17 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:46 PM

Buy Game programming for Dummies or Tricks of the windows game programming gurus.....this will give you a good start but it really will take time to equal Final Fantasy so start slow and work your way up...and never stop learning

#18 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:48 PM

i didnt mean as good as final fantasy but i meant the rpg format like it not the quality

#19 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:54 PM

thank you Kwizatz that was probably the best help ive gotten thank you very much

#20 YoshiN   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:58 PM

Okay, Well in this post, I''m assuming that Final Fantasy uses a Tile Engine (unless you are talking about the newer ones). A game engine should be relatively genre-independent, meaning I could use the same engine to make an RPG as I would a Contra-style side shooter. You should definitely get some book on whatever API you plan on using (dx or ogl), and then think about all of the graphics calls you are going to have to make, all of the input, and the sound, and then create a program that makes manipulating all of these really easy. Then, using what you have created, program all of the game logic.

-Yoshi
XGXCX ''''99

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS