• Create Account

How Do I Make A Game Engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
39 replies to this topic

#21 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 04:12 PM

does anyone have a suggestion on which api i should use (the best one)

Sponsor:

#22 Kwizatz   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1200

Posted 31 January 2002 - 04:12 PM

You are welcome.

#23 VisualB4BigD   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 06:44 PM

STS Shadow Moses if you language doesn''t improve the Admin of this forum will be contacted and you will be removed. Just a warning and a reminder.

-Thank You Sir

#24 Spiral   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 January 2002 - 09:04 PM

quote:
Original post by VisualB4BigD
STS Shadow Moses if you language doesn''t improve the Admin of this forum will be contacted and you will be removed. Just a warning and a reminder.

You are not in a position to make threats and to decide the correct etiquette for this forum. Leave that to the moderators, they will deal with any troublemakers as they see fit.

quote:
Original post by butt_mike
does anyone have a suggestion on which api i should use (the best one)

Thats a matter of personal preference. As many people will tell you, there is no "best one". You''ll have to do your own research on this topic and make your own decision regarding which API you should use.

Google, possibly the best search engine on the internet. Learn how to use it, it is an invaluable tool.

I still cant figure out if this is just a set up or not... but i have noticed "butt_mike" and "STS Shadow Moses" both signed up on the same day. Suppose that cant prove anything however. Could a moderator check the IPs, see if they''re the same person?

#25 Useless Hacker   Members   -  Reputation: 372

Posted 31 January 2002 - 09:29 PM

I recomend you do something 2D in DirectX7 first

#26 butt_mike   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 February 2002 - 01:49 AM

no we are not the same person

monitor check them and u will see

i like the idea from Useless Hacker thanks

#27 Grellin   Members   -  Reputation: 186

Posted 01 February 2002 - 03:58 AM

hahahha that is funny.

Grellin

Don''t sit and complain about a program, make a better one or shut up!

#28 Subotron   Members   -  Reputation: 182

Posted 01 February 2002 - 04:02 AM

To both of you: (The ones who are spamming this topic with their crap. They are probably both losers) Just stfu and go buy some friends or whatever just don''t be rude here and post all this crap.

butt_mike: I think, if you know how to program, you should know it''s quite impossible for you to program a FF engine at this stage. Maybe you first need to learn some game programming. The tutorials/articles and books on this site can help you with that. Just don''t expect to have anything FF-like up/finished within 2 years... patience is a virtue

#29 Spiral   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 February 2002 - 11:28 AM

quote:
Original post by STS Shadow Moses
HAHA thanks spiral, lol if i get booted it doesn''t really matter I''m jus here to piss mr.butt_mike off lol, after all he is my best friend and the things we do best is to piss eachother off!!

Just because i dont think other members should threaten you and try to project some kind of authority over you, doesnt mean i think they are wrong. I think you''re an idiot and should be banned. It just isn''t my place to promise you that though.

#30 AfroFire   Members   -  Reputation: 393

Posted 01 February 2002 - 11:58 AM

I believe they are 2 different people. But I also believe they will not be going to the top. I''ve known countless numbers of people who have written out their ideas, written stories, then gone in to forums like this to ask for help. Not even knowing the basic concepts of programming to answer the questions from the very people they are asking for help from. I feel sorry for these people though.

First off, if you are already asking how to make an engine, you are NOT ready to make one. Like most people here have said, and have done, GO BUY A BOOK. Make something simple, and in 2D. Then after a year or two, and after you have finished a few games, pop open an OpenGL book or Direct3D one. Have a whole new party

Go to http://www.amazon.com and type DirectX in the search engine. You WILL find something.

But first, if you can hardly search for stuff on the internet... How do you even know how to code?

I''m babbling like a monkey now. Till next time.

One more thing: PUNCTUATE!!!

-AfroFire

#31 Shannon Barber   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1362

Posted 01 February 2002 - 12:41 PM

Every get the feeling something is missing?

#32 AfroFire   Members   -  Reputation: 393

Posted 01 February 2002 - 12:46 PM

I counted 15 messages missing

-AfroFire

#33 Tok   Members   -  Reputation: 262

Posted 02 February 2002 - 05:00 AM

Aw... I just got here. Is the party over already?
(Keep up the good word, Magmai!)

#34 EvilCrap   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 02 February 2002 - 06:28 PM

NEWBIE: do not ask about api vs api!! unless you want this thread to be closed!! ah haha.

to make a simple game in c++, you should know about these:
-classes
composition
inheritance
-arrays
references
pointers
-new/delete
-functions

do you know about all of that? if not, look it up.

to make a game, you need at least one loop

myGame.Initialize();
while (myGame.isPlaying)
{
myGame.DoStuff();
}
myGame.Destroy

you should make a game in WIN32 CONSOLE MODE first. So, your game will be primarily text. once you figure out how to do that, you can get graphical. Your first graphical game should use win32 GDI/API -why? because you need to do alot of stuff in that even when working in apis like DX.
unfortunatly, in order to do that, you need to know how to program in win32 - - - - - - - - DO YOU HAVE ANY GRASP OF THAT?! if not, read up on it.

and i agree, GRAMMER AND PUNCTUATION, even *BAD* GRAMMER AND PUNCTUATION would improve ur communication skills.

#35 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 02 February 2002 - 06:42 PM

quote:
and i agree, GRAMMER AND PUNCTUATION

Don''t forget spelling. It''s "grammar".

#36 SpaceRook   Members   -  Reputation: 160

Posted 02 February 2002 - 07:26 PM

quote:
Original post by butt_mike
no we are not the same person

monitor check them and u will see

i like the idea from Useless Hacker thanks

Mike, you need to practice design before you can even think about making an RPG like Final Fantasy. Start with a small program. Pong and Tetris are good examples. Make good use of functions. Modularize your code (i.e. break it up into logical parts). Try to focus on one new thing in every program. For example, make a simple game with pieces that you can control. Then make another game with sound. Make another game that can be customized by the user. Keep increasing in complexity. You may think that these are trivial programs, but mark my words: you will have a genuine sense of self-satisfaction when you finish them. You might write a Tetris clone, but it won''t just be a Tetris clone; it will be your Tetris clone, and that will give you the enthusiasm to go after the next project.

Knowing a language or an API is a very small part of making a game. It is important, but it is dwarfed by the importance of design.

#37 Jeff D   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 February 2002 - 04:35 AM

A great place to start programming games is GameTutorials.com, they have a lot of tutorials there that arevery useful. They start at basics like input output, structs, classes, arrays, inheritence, polymorphism, pointers, pointers, pointers, then they go into quite nicely the Windows API then they dive into the graphics(Direct3D or OpenGL). I suggest follow from first one to the last one. Each tutorial explains every line of code practically saying what it does and why. Since I started there it helped me a lot. I believe you will do good there.

Jeff D

Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton

#38 STS Shadow Moses   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 February 2002 - 06:01 AM

see butt_mike I told ya to LEARN and Make a few small programs b4 jumping into this, man u have a thing for going into empty pools head first don''t ya!

-Look it''''s Dancing (>")>
<( " )> <("<) <( " )>

#39 merlin9x9   Members   -  Reputation: 174

Posted 12 February 2002 - 06:15 AM

LOL
He "knows" C++!!!
ROTFL

I''ll bet he doesn''t even know what a class is. And I''m sure he knows nothing of polymorphism and dynamic binding, function pointers, pointers-to-members, multi-level inheritance, templates, etc. That is the stuff that significantly differentiates C++ from its parent language, but most of these kids only "know" fragments of the C subset. They use int and i++ because they were taught to do it that way without ever questioning their merits. They don''t know that a char isn''t guaranteed to be 8 bits, signed or unsigned.

#40 Lazarus404   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 February 2002 - 03:21 AM

Merlin9x9? You don''t have to know C++ that well to be a games programmer. In fact, knowing C/C++ that well must make your butt as tight as a Scotsman.

Listen Butt-Mike, you obviously want to write this 3D Engine for some reason, right? What I would do, if I were you, is take someone elses 3D engine and fiddle with it for a while. See what you can come up with. Make small steps and progress slowly, else you''ll end up surrounded by too many big words and big functions, and you''ll find it just as hard to work out the simple stuff as the complex stuff.

Why not try Blitz3D or darkBASIC, and make your Final Fantasy stuff out of that, at least until you know how it all works and what all the jargon is, then sit down with your C/C++. At least that way you''ll have more understanding and respect of what it is you''re asking.

Right now, it seems your p***ing everyone off because you''re making it seem like us programmers have an easy job, and anyone can pick it up just by reading a webpage or two.

No offense intended!

Lazarus404

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS