• Create Account

TNT2 Gamma

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 logistix   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 February 2000 - 07:39 AM

Let''s see if I can make a long story short. I''ve been developing my game on a system w/ TNT2 videocard and everything''s going fine. I took it into work to do some crash-testing. The computers at work don''t have 3D cards, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn''t crashing on every computer but mine at home. It runs fine (at 2fps ) but everything is really dark on the software renderer compared to TNT2 graphics. Even crazier, I''m currently painting on a skyscape background that doesn''t use any lighting or mixing techniques and just out of curiosity I opened up the background texture in PAINT while the game was running and this texture was even brighter than the original image. Anyway, this isn''t that big of a problem from the programming side. I''m adding a GAMMA setting that ranges from 0.0 - 2.0 that gets factored into all the lighting calculations, no big deal. The real problem is that I want most machines to be running without gamma modifications, so the obvious thing to do is adjust the gamma in my level editor if the TNT2 isn''t running at a "standard" gamma. So (without making a long story short) I was just wondering if anyone had any input on how TNT or software rendering compares to other video cards on the "brightness" level. If anyone''s really bored I''ve also got screenshots (of how it should look) and a demo on my home page. Any input is appreciated. -the logistical one- http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt

Sponsor:

#2 DaBit   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 February 2000 - 09:47 PM

On my TNT2, software rendering is just as bright as hardware rendering. (With OpenGL, that is)
On the Voodoo2 and Voodoo Banshee, everything is a lot brighter. On the ATI Rage128 the picture was a very little bit darker than sw rendering. No idea about other cards though.

DaBit

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS