Texture shader / register combiner Q

Started by
5 comments, last by Maximus 22 years, 2 months ago
Anyone know if its possible to warp pixels that are already in the framebuffer by using texture shaders and/or register combiners? Im pretty sure texture shaders cant do it (the offset function warps an image bound to a texture unit), but I really dont know about register combiners (I havent found any good documentation on them yet, not even from developer.nvidia.com).
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Advertisement
neither r gonna work the only way is with glReadPixels(..)

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
hmm thats no good for me

-----------------------
chain=chain->chain;
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Use a pbuffer. Render your scene into it, bind as a texture, and warp it as much as you like. Alternatively, you can also use glCopyTexSubImage2D, it''s rather fast on nVidia boards.

Regcoms only allow to change the routing of fragments between the different combiner units, and manipulate the equations that affect their parameters. You cannot modify pixels already written to the framebuffer, though.
the problem is ''modify the pixels''
if u use a pbuffer or glCopyTexSubImage(..) the modifications u can apply to the image are gonna be very limited.

whats wrong with glReadPixels()?

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
> if u use a pbuffer or glCopyTexSubImage(..) the modifications u can apply to the image are gonna be very limited.

Texture shaders. Once you have the framebuffer in a texture, you can use them. Or mesh warping is another alternative.

> whats wrong with glReadPixels()?

A lot slower than texture shaders, at least on GF3+.
What I was thinking was to warp the contents of the framebuffer underneath a "water" polygon. Copying the framebuffer to a texture wouldnt look right at all, as it would have all the rest of the scene written to it as well.

-----------------------
chain=chain->chain;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement