• Create Account

How can I make mods??

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 tuxx   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 11 February 2002 - 03:32 PM

Please don''t flame me if this topic comes up every four hours, but I have a question: Is modding a good idea? It seems fun, and it wouldn''t be as complex as making a whole game from scratch. And also, what game is the best to mod off of? I''m thinking Half-Life, because there are soo many mods for it and i will probably be getting it soon. Thanks for your input Ex.. ex.. excuse me.. excuse me... I didn''t... I didn''t get a piece of... I didn''t get a piece of cake I didn''t get a piece of cake

Sponsor:

#2 Anozireth   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 February 2002 - 03:35 PM

I think making mods is a great way to start out, because you have a solid base to work with. It''s definitely much simpler to make a mod for a game like HL than to write your own FPS game. As for what game to use as a base, just pick your favorite. HL, Q2, Q3 and UT are all safe bets.

#3 craymail   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 February 2002 - 03:35 PM

Modding is a great way to get into the game design field. It allows you to start creating a "game" without needing costly software, well more or less, and without needing to take the tiem to create an actual engine.

It is a great place to start.

Cray

#4 tuxx   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 11 February 2002 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for your input so far, I can''t believe I got 2 responses only a little while after I posted this! Can anyone maybe tell me some good websites now?? I''m pretty sure I''ll do Half-Life, but in the mods article section, it had an Unreal Tournament mod article written by the developer.

#5 Brian Jones   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 February 2002 - 03:59 PM

There is supposedly a HL mod SDK. Maybe somebody could post a link to it....

#6 Brian Jones   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 February 2002 - 04:03 PM

Here''s a link. You got me interested in Mod dev...
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10045-100-8750349.html?tag=st.dl.10045-106-1.lst-0-1.8750349

#7 evolutional   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1044

Posted 12 February 2002 - 01:51 AM

www.planethalflife.com

This place will probably be a good place to start

Oli

All the best problems start with C

.:: K o s m o s E n g i n e ::.

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 12 February 2002 - 09:44 AM

I recommend against the HL engine, if you made a mod for that you would be prone to the massive number of cheats that are circulating for that engine.

#9 Michael.Van   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 February 2002 - 04:29 PM

Goto here:
www.valve-erc.com for mapping/modding information on halflife
and you shall also check out the greatest mods:
www.planethalflife.com/community/hosted

#10 Anozireth   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 February 2002 - 04:36 PM

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I recommend against the HL engine, if you made a mod for that you would be prone to the massive number of cheats that are circulating for that engine.

That''s a good point, but the reason that there are lots of cheats is because there are lots of HL players (far more than any other FPS), and for a mod to be successful, it doesn''t hurt to have a lot of people already playing the game it''s based on.

#11 CGameProgrammer   Members   -  Reputation: 640

Posted 15 February 2002 - 05:05 PM

That''s assuming it''s a multiplayer mod. Which most are, of course.

I made mods for Half-Life and Unreal Tournament. Both are good, however Unreal Tournament was better because the code is much better organized. With Half-Life, I was always jumping from place to place searching through the code to find how to do something. UT uses UnrealScript but it''s very similar to C++/Java and takes no time to get used to.

I actually wrote a couple of Half-Life modding tutorials when I was into it. If you''re interested, there''s one on creating new entities that you can place in a level using Worldcraft and load in your code, and there''s one on creating a Star Wars-type blaster.

Or you can download the code for a mod I started for Unreal Tournament here. There''s a website with screenshots here.

~CGameProgrammer( );

#12 Fireant   Members   -  Reputation: 123

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:48 PM

I''d have 2 say that the VALVE-ERC is the best place 2 go, if u r making HL Mods...(www.valve-erc.com) there r lots of people on there who would help u... u need 2 be able 2 map, code,texture, or model ... but, i''d say if u want a good FPS, HL or Unreal would probably b the way 2 go... if u need the HL SDK, goto www.valvesoftware.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS