• Create Account

Collision questions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 AndersG   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 February 2000 - 06:39 AM

Hi, I''ve been making a simple 3d-engine to import 3ds-files and walk trough with collision-detection, but I haven''t found any good sources or docs that explains some form of simple implementation of collision detection. So far I''ve been successful with simple point/plane intersection tests using the dist=DotProduct(P-Q,N) formula where P is the point to test, Q is a point on the plane and N is the normal of the plane. That system only works for infinite planes, as all knows So, what I want to do (If that''s the best way) is make additional tests against 3 other planes which are the boundaries of the triangle... All ideas appreciated I''ve came to the conclusion that this might not be the best way after all, since I use bounding boxes for dynamic objects, and the side of a poly actually might slip inside the corner of another poly, if the vertices of the bounding box are on the outside of a small polygon?? So how do programmers generally solve this? Do they test more than just the points of the bounding-box (normal?) ? Sorry to wear you out, guys, but here''s another question... Is it common to use point(bounding-box)/plane tests for dynamix/static object tests, box/sphere tests for dynamic/ powerups(example) objects and sphere/sphere for dynamic/ dynamic object tests??? That''s what use... Thank''s in advance /Anders G

Sponsor:

#2 genovov   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 February 2000 - 05:18 AM

There are a number of articles on Gamesutra that deal with collision detection:

Point in Poly Stuff

Collision Response

Axis Aligned Bounding Boxes

Simple Intersection Tests (Sweep Tests)

You might also want to do a search for OOB-Trees and the Lin-Canny algorithm. Or look for I-Collide, and it''s derivitive V-Collide, to see examples of two stage collision detection.

Have fun

- genovov

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS