Hardware acceleration

Started by
4 comments, last by IDispatch 22 years, 2 months ago
Hello all, I hope you can help me find answer to my question. How do I know if my opengl application is using the hardware acceleration features or is depending on a software renderer. Do I have to initialize some stuff for it to use hardware acceleration. Can I detect the modes my card can use (hardware/software). Thanks in advance, IDispatch
Advertisement
After you call SetPixelFormat, call DescribePixelFormat using the same pixel format id that you just set. Then check the dwFlags member of the PFD. If either the PFD_GENERIC_FORMAT or PFD_GENERIC_ACCELERATED flags are set, you''re using the software renderer. Otherwise, you''re using hardware.
Check out NeHe''s tutorial 25.You will get the name of the rendering card,it''s vendor and version of drivers.If the name of the card is GDI, you are in software, otherwise you are in hardware accelerated mode...
How exactly would you check to see if that bit was checked, would it be
dwFlags|PFD_GENERIC_FORMAT or would you do it like this
dwFlags&PFD_GENERIC_FORMAT, cus i am experiencing a slowness in my code that is crazy, cus i have a GeForce 2, and am only rendering 200 polygons at a time. The slowdown occurs when i get far from them, although they are being rendered with a 512*512 Texture, if that has anything to do with it.
&

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
Actually, I read something about copying a 3dgfx.dll file to the application directory and renaming it to opengl32.dll.... something like that....

Can anyone explain a bit more
Thanks,
IDispatch

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement