Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.


Take a look at this game i made


Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

  • You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Benmergui   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Like
Likes
Like

Posted 13 February 2000 - 06:50 PM

I am working on an RPG, and i plan to make a series of subproyects to test the engine as i am programming it...here is the first one: http://members.xoom.com/ProyectoArca/H&Hprerelease.zip Please try it out and tell me how many fps you are getting...and i wouldn''t mind if you told me what you think. THANKS!!!

Sponsor:

#2 AIRmichael   Members   -  Reputation: 136

Like
Likes
Like

Posted 14 February 2000 - 05:04 AM

It''s a nice game I like it.
I am getting 56 frames per second. (minium)
and 58 maximum.

continue with making games

#3 Spellbound   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Like
Likes
Like

Posted 14 February 2000 - 05:36 AM

58 fps

Nice little game

I think you are taking the right approach to making games by making ''subproyects'' and testing out your engine. Good thinking.

Why do you spell it ''proyects'' and not projects?

#4 Staffan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Like
Likes
Like

Posted 14 February 2000 - 10:37 AM

58 fps, PII 333, 64 RAM, Riva 128 4MB

Nice, BUT, where is the mouse support? Being able to move the pad with the mouse, not only the keys, would be neat.

#5 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Likes

Posted 14 February 2000 - 11:08 AM

Nice game. It goes anywhere from 48fps to 58fps. It runs somewhat jerky though... Are you using DirectX? If you aren''t, DirectX would make it so much smoother.

#6 PsYcHoPrOg   Members   -  Reputation: 115

Like
Likes
Like

Posted 14 February 2000 - 12:09 PM

Great job! 58 fps at 550 MHz.

Keep up the good work!

#7 PsYcHoPrOg   Members   -  Reputation: 115

Like
Likes
Like

Posted 14 February 2000 - 12:12 PM

Could you send me the source? I would like to see how you did it.

#8 Fuge   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Like
Likes
Like

Posted 15 February 2000 - 07:19 AM

Very nice. The animation was very smooth and fluid. I got 47FPS on a P366 with 32mg Diamond Stealth III.
I was wondering, too, how are you handling what goes into video RAM and what goes into system RAM. I know that alot of people seem to put most everything into system ram and use a secondary backbuffer to blit everything into (especially for special FX). Just wondered how you''re doing it in your RPG.


#9 +AA_970+   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Like
Likes
Like

Posted 15 February 2000 - 10:34 AM

i still have a really old 8 meg Millenium II video card so i only got like 20 frames per second.

hey, where did u get the fonts, did u make then yourself?

#10 Daniel Benmergui   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Like
Likes
Like

Posted 15 February 2000 - 10:58 AM

Thanks everybody for trying it out!

Staffan:

I didn''t plan to include mouse support with it...maybe when i complete the input library i will. Anyway, it''s just a subproject(more about "subproyects" below ). Its only meaning is to test the graphics engine.

Anonymus:
It is using DirectX. I also thought that it moved a bit jerky but it is not a problem of speed. In my middle-low end machine it throws 84 (the monitor RR) if i don''t limit it (your version is limited to 58 frames). The problem of jerkyness lies on how i manage speed. If the ball moves more than one pixel per frame, it begins to look jerky. But if it moves one pixel per frame, its speed depends on the refresh rate!.

Psychoprog:
I have no problem to give away source code. But the main is a bit messy. And i copied the classes and updated/optimized it for the next subproject. So if i give them to you, they won''t work unless i give you the old versions. They are the first versions, so they are not the best.
Tell me if you really want the source code.

Fuge:
I loaded all animations (ball, paddle, bricks) in VRAM because they are small. The splash screen is in RAM. Anyway, i have a backbuffer in VRAM where i do all blitting. My library supports alpha blending, but if i use it i have to load all in RAM, because they calculations are done in system

AA_970:
I did the fonts using Photoshop with the copper gradient. (Using Arial or something like that as a base). The black borders are accidental. But they looked great, so i let them.

As for you Spellbound...you are completely right! I laughed when i read your comment. My native tongue is Spanish, and project is spelled ''proyecto'' with ''y'' that''s why i mispelled it. Thanks for the correction!

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR TRYING OUT THE DEMO!!!!



#11 FalloutBoy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Like
Likes
Like

Posted 15 February 2000 - 07:39 PM

Cool game! Ran at 58fps on my P300. You ought to post the source somewhere. Not for me, but for all the aspiring game programmers who are trying to learn. I am always happy to give out my source code. I used to have a web site with my game and source code on it, along with a developer diary. In fact it helped me land a sweet job as a 3D graphics programmer for the PSX 2!





Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.



PARTNERS