Trilinear filtering & tripple buffering ?

Started by
4 comments, last by Lanman 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi there! I just wonder if I can use TF and TB in OpenGL...I know that some things are used automaticaly, like HW T&L, but what about theese two ? Is there any way to use it ?
Advertisement
I''m not sure about triple buffering, but you''ll get trilinear texture filtering if you choose GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR for your minification filter, and GL_LINEAR for your magnification filter.

Trilinear can be pretty slow on older cards, so you''re probably best just to use GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST for your minification filter.

Hope this helps

- Pete
Thanx !!! I didn''t know that!Cool!
And please does anyone know something about the TB ?
Tripple buffering is not supported by OpenGL.
> Tripple buffering is not supported by OpenGL

That''s not correct. OpenGL supports an infinite number of buffers, they just have to be mapped to a virtual front/back buffer by your 3D card. TB is an option that is normally turned on / off by the driver. OpenGL does not explicitely care about it. Just like single/double buffering, it is a property of the render surface, and not of any concern for OpenGL.
quote:Original post by Brother Bob
Triple buffering is not supported by OpenGL.

Well, for a start Quake III supports triple buffering, doesn''t it? Unless it''s done in system memory (which would horrifically slow), there must be a way of forcing OpenGL to use two back buffers and one front buffer. Now, doing this in DirectX (at least DirectDraw) isn''t difficult, but, as always, you have more control over what you do.

There may be a way of declaring triple buffering in the PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR struct, when you send it Windows to get a valid OpenGL-supporting pixel format, but looking through the documentation, I haven''t been able to find anything other than single or double buffering.

You must have to check if you''re using a graphics card that supports triple buffering and implement it then, but I don''t know how to do this (yet...)

By the way, if I''m wrong about the triple buffering in Quake III (a little cloud of doubt has snook into my head), please correct me.

iNsAn1tY - the place where imagination and the real world merge...
Try http://uk.geocities.com/mentalmantle - Now updated!
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement