• Create Account

PS2 Linux kit

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 henryx   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 17 February 2002 - 09:30 AM

I know there have been a number of posts already about the PS2 Linux kit but I would like to hear from anybody who has actually managed to get there hands on one to experiment with. I’m interested to hear about what development tools and libraries that are made available in the kit to facilitate the creation of PS2 based games. Do the libraries allow games to be developed which can run as native games on the PS2 or are the games Linux based games which require the Linux operating system to run. Views from anybody with experience would be appreciated. Thanks henry

Sponsor:

#2 jenova   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 February 2002 - 11:24 AM

this question has been answered on the previous posts. the libraries will restrict you from full access to the PS2 hardware. the software produced will only run on the PS2 linux.

if you want to create native PS2 games then all you need is a MIPS compiler/linker that outputs ".elf" files and either a mopchip or a Sony PS2 CD burner (tho, i''d forget about the Sony PS2 CD burner).

no i don''t have the linux dev kit, yet! and yes, i do PS2 coding.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

#3 henryx   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 17 February 2002 - 08:57 PM

Ok Jenova, thanks for the reply. I am well aware that this topic has been the subjuct of other posts but I was looking for information from anybody who has actually managed to experiment with the kit. I have heard that some people have managed to get hold of the kit from Japan and there direct experience would be interesting to hear.

The problem is that the information released by Sony about the kit is not very precise. I know that it will not by possible to create PS2 CDs with the kit - but I''m not wanting to do that anyway. What I really want to know is how good are (or will be) the libraries for games development and I suppose the only people who know the answer to that question just now are either Sony themselves or those people who have managed to get their hands on a kit already.

henry

#4 Lohrno   Members   -  Reputation: 222

Posted 20 February 2002 - 01:40 PM

Where can I get a MIPS compiler that outputs .elf files?

-=Lohrno

#5 jenova   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 February 2002 - 02:02 AM

GNU

Edit: oops.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

Edited by - jenova on February 21, 2002 9:20:14 AM

#6 Lohrno   Members   -  Reputation: 222

Posted 21 February 2002 - 09:44 AM

Uhm..is there any way to NOT use Linux? hehe
*ducks incomming smacks*

-=Lohrno

#7 jenova   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 February 2002 - 09:51 AM

your options are Linux, modchip or Sony PS2 CD burner....

#8 Lohrno   Members   -  Reputation: 222

Posted 21 February 2002 - 04:35 PM

Ahhhh okay Thanks! =D

Maybe when I get a little more advanced, I''ll get linux working
on one of my other computers and give it a whirl hehe!

-=Lohrno

#9 Biased turkey   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 February 2002 - 04:34 AM

quote:
Original post by jenova
your options are Linux, modchip or Sony PS2 CD burner....

You mean every time you do the slightest modification to your code you must burn a new CDROM and try it in the PS2?
Is there any way to connect a PC to the Playstation USB port for instance ?

#10 jenova   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 February 2002 - 06:57 AM

yes, either ieee 1394 (firewire) or usb.

you will need a modchip....

#11 Biased turkey   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 February 2002 - 07:07 AM

Thanks for the info jenova.
My best friend ( Google ) found some very interesting stuff at sourceforge.net

#12 jenova   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 February 2002 - 07:43 AM

also check Napalm

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS