• Create Account

Clarification on Game Engines

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 pizza box   Members   -  Reputation: 168

Posted 18 February 2002 - 11:29 AM

I plan on creating a game engine to use when I start creating some simple 2d games. What I want to know is what exactly is a game engine? My understanding is that it is a collection of functions that draw certain shapes or images on the screen and translates them in certain ways. But are there any other aspects of a game engine that I should include, such as global variables or class definitions? Thanks for your help.

Sponsor:

#2 krez   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 443

Posted 18 February 2002 - 12:06 PM

quote:
My understanding is that it is a collection of functions that draw certain shapes or images on the screen and translates them in certain ways.

well, what you describe would be a graphics engine... a "game engine" would include that, as well as functions/classes for handling input (keyboard/mouse/whatever) and physics (collision detection, movement)... maybe even game logic.
since you want to program your own, you can put in/leave out anything you like...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS