mesh rendering

Started by
2 comments, last by SoD 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi, there''s a simple way to render a terrain heightmap with triangles fans? i can''t see the structure... Or it''s simpler to use triangles tripes? In a vertex array the fans are a bad implementation or not?
Here we go!
Advertisement
Are you going by NeHe''s tutorial? or your own implementation? If its NeHes you may have to alter the way the verts are loaded. I think he loads them into a byte array or something then passes them to be rendered. I have never used triangle fans so i am not sure how they work exactly. give some code or something if that doesnt help. Later-

what we do in life... echoes in eternity...
My idea is to have a vertex array containing the heights of the terrain grid and an index array defining the the sequence of vertex forming the triangles. Because i want to put them in a octree i can''t think the best method to store informations in every bounding box. Storing indexes of each triangle is slow or not? I can''t think about using triangle stripes or triangle fans in a vertex list o indexes list in each box of the octree... can you explain me? thanx
Here we go!
Yeah i am not sure if the triangle fans and strips would work with with an octree, you may get some messed up terrain. I think you would be better off just drawing triangles from the verts you load in from the heightmap. But again i dont know how the fans and strips work exactly.
In my terrain engine thingy (really wouldnt call it an engine) i load up a heightmap from photoshop, read it into a vector array when i render i just pass the verticies stored in my vector array to opengl. Hope i may have helped a little, if you need some code let me know, later-

what we do in life... echoes in eternity...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement