• Create Account

Good old Dos Gfx

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 zaphod   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 February 2000 - 08:52 AM

I cant find any info/tutorials on 2d, 256 colour art of the type seen all the classic top down scrolling shooters of the mid 90''s. Is there any, or should I start working in 16bit colour? How many colours did ''Raptor'' use? Thats the kind of look I''m after.

Sponsor:

#2 evaclear   Members   -  Reputation: 162

Posted 17 February 2000 - 09:02 AM

There are alot of tricks you can use when using 256 color mode. Rotating palettes to simulate movement, and fades/swipes are fairly easily preformed with 256 mode. Personaly I prefer the look of 16bit graphics even though 256 colors offers some benefits. I believe "Raptor" used 32 or 24 bit mode for that tutorial on how to make a space ship. You can easily knock that 32 or 24bit image down to 16bit color with out major loss of quality though.

#3 guybrush   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 February 2000 - 01:03 PM

do a search for the PC Game Programmer''s Encyclopedia...there are a number of tutorials written about graphics, Mode X, etc

-----------------------------------------
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS