Performance glitch? HELP!!!

Started by
4 comments, last by Halo Vortex 22 years, 1 month ago
While I''ve been developing my small project under OpenGL using MSVC++ 6.0, it all ran fine. Every time compiler used to build an exe as usual and it automatically run it as it should be. FPS was more than 80 fps on my GF2 Pro, but when I executed the same exe under windows(The same exe Visual Studio built and executed using Exectute command under itslef, it started showing a bit more than 1 FPS!!!! I couldn''t find the problem. I copied dlls of opengl and glut hundreds of time and I wonder, what is the glitch? I then created a new nearly empty OpenGL glut workspace and the same thing happend. What''s up with my Windows and why Studio executes it perfectly, what does it add before sending it onto Windows. I tried in both Debug and Release version. I''m desperate. I''ve got a few days before I''m going to present my project and there won''t be any MSVC there :-(
Advertisement
Sounds like your app is falling back into software mode if you don''t run it directly from MSVC... I''m not sure why that could be, but try to check if all DLLs are present and can be loaded by the app if you start it standalone.
That''s pretty weird. Can you answer a couple questions?
  • Do other (as in: not your) programs that use OpenGL get hardware acceleration? Games, et cetera...
  • You haven''t messed with any system files or anything , right?
    Have you tried reinstalling your video drivers? Maybe something got mangled somewhere along the way.
  • I''ve had problems like this before, but not to do with OpenGL. I made a program that ran perfectly when run from MSVC, but never worked when run on it''s own. With copious loggings of variable values, I found that the entire program was completely screwed, things were happening that were almost impossible. I never got around it after ( well, I did, I started a new project )...

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
    Sounds to me like the search path isn''t including wherever you''re openGL drivers are (\System32). Try copying the relevant files into the same directory as the .exe and see what happens. If if works then, it is a path problem.

BTW - what version of windows are you using? And what video card do you have?
    Also ... have you installed the windows SDK? It played merry hell with my system by changing the order of include directories. If you haven''t ... get it - it''s well worth it, but be prepared to edit the paths within the VS environment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement