lookup table help

Started by
3 comments, last by Gecko 24 years, 2 months ago
i''m having trouble with a sin lookup table. heres the code: void CreateSineLookup() { float inc = 360/MAX_LOOKUP; float x=0; for(int i=0; i = sin(x*deg2rad); x += inc; } } float l_sin(float num) { int t_num = (int)num; int d_num = num-t_num; double ans; ans = sinlookup[t_num] + ((sinlookup[t_num+1]-sinlookup[t_num]) * d_num); return ans; } MAX_LOOKUP is 360. l_sin() is the new sine function. the problem is that the framerate is actually worse than when i just used sin(), and it produces a screwed up result, too! i''m probably just missing something obvious, and need fresh eyes to peruse the code. thanks
_________________Gecko___

_________________Gecko___Gecko Design
Advertisement
uhh... yeah, i''m an idiot. please forgive my incompetence. d_num should be a float in the l_sin function

Make global arrays for sine and cosine tables, like:
float cos_look[360];float sin_look[360]; 

Then here''s the code I use to make the tables:

for (int ang = 0; ang < 360; ang++){    // convert ang to radians    float theta = (float)ang*3.1415926535/(float)180;    // insert next entry into table    cos_look[ang] = cos(theta);    sin_look[ang] = sin(theta);} 

Good luck!
Al
Alexbigshot@austin.rr.comFoolish man give wife grand piano. Wise man give wife upright organ.
First of all; You''re lookup array doesn''t work...
In CreateSineLookup it''s a float, in l_sin it''s an rray of floats, and then there''s some oother screwed up stuff... This code should not work at all...Here''s how I''d do it...

float sinlookup[MAX_LOOKUP];

void CreateSineLookup()
{
float inc = 360/MAX_LOOKUP;
float x=0;
for(int i=0; i < MAX_LOOKUP; i++)
{
sinlookup = sin(x*deg2rad);
x += inc;
}
}

Then You might just use sinlookup[int something] to get your sine...If that''s too inaccurate for you - well make MAX_LOOKUP equal to 3600 and don''t use degrees to measure your angles but decidegrees = 1/10 of a degree...
So instead of using l_sin(4.6) you''d use sinlookup[46]...
Try it...

Should be fairly to implement...

Your problem is that you are converting floats and ints
back and forth vigorously, that eats up quite a piece of the time pie...

- Sleepwalker
- Sleepwalker
my CreateSineLookup works, the friggin'' board just messed it up, it turned my array thingy into an italic tag. damned message board.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement