A Variety of Collision Problems

Started by
4 comments, last by PyroBoy 22 years, 1 month ago
The time has come to delve into collision detection and visibility determination for a graphics system I''m building. Does anyone know of any good tutorials that explain various collision detection and visibility determination tests? Specificly: rotated rectangle vs. circle in (x, y, r) or (x, y, r squared) form collision test rotated rectangle vs. rotated rectangle collision test rotated rectangle vs. non-rotated rectangle collision test rotated box vs. sphere in (x, y, z, r) or (x, y, z, r squared) form collision test view frustum vs. rotated cube or sphere in one of the above forms visibility test If anyone knows of a good method of doing any of the above, sites that provide tutorials or source dealing with the above, or if anyone thinks they''ve got a great way to accomplish any of the above, I''d really apreciate hearing about it!
Advertisement
There''s some stuff on www.magic-software.com that is of interest. This is the site for David Eberly''s book "3D Game Engine Design." Look for his free source code and documentation.

Also, if you want to get into some fancier stuff, look at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill''s vast collection of code and research. The research papers they''ve published are a bit more advanced and you should probably start with something like Eberly''s docs. (David''s writing can be a bit cryptic, but its actually usable stuff.)

www.magic-software.com

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~geom/collide/

I cannot stress strongly enough how beneficial the UNC-Ch work in collision detection has been through the years. They even provide sample implementations of working code as downloads (usually written on UNIX/Linux systems I think, but sometimes source code is source code.)

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
I took a look at the book site, and it says you need to own the book in order to look at the source...

And the UNC link has some cool stuff, but it''s waaay too advanced. They''re on a whole other level trying to collide complex objects and whatnot. I''m just looking for simpler stuff like the above list. Makes for good reading though! :-)

Some of the magic-software code does not require that you own the book!

Specifically look at this link:

http://www.magic-software.com/SourceCode.html which does not require you own the book.

The "Wild-Magic" software does require you own the book.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Ah! Dunno how I missed that. :-)

That''s got some good stuff in there. I''d kinda like to know more about the concepts behind it, but source is a good place to start I guess.

Check out www.gametutorials.com under the opengl tutorials. They don''t explain things in much detail but the source is somewhat useful. They include tutorials on plane/line intersections, plane/polygon collision, sphere/polygon collisions, camera/world collisions. They also discuss frustrum culling and quadtrees.

Again, like I said, they don''t get down and dirty with explanations of the actual math but they have well put together source code with commented explanations of what''s going on.

Dustin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement