• Create Account

[java] Design tools with JFC

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jack C.   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 February 2000 - 06:54 AM

Hey, everybody! I''m currently developing a 2D tile-based platformer, and I''ve gotten to the point where I''m going to have to create a level editor. I orginally planned on coding one with MFC, but one of my lead designers only has access to a Mac. Is JFC a viable alternative? Does anyone here have any experience with it? Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Squidi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 February 2000 - 12:10 PM

I think you''ll find that JFC is a bunch easier to understand AND program than Windows. Couple this with the fact that it is cross platform, and you have yourself a winner.

I have a tile-based level editor written in Java, but I can''t find the code right now. I''ve got a hard copy, but I can''t send it to you like that. I''ll look for it, but it may have been erased (it was part of a package which I removed, but I thought I had a backup). It took me two days beginning to end to write it.

#3 Jack C.   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 February 2000 - 01:36 PM

Cool, thanks a lot!

#4 Squidi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 February 2000 - 03:13 PM

Ok, found a copy. Don''t know if it works, or how old a version it is. Anyway, you can find it at:

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~howard/mapedit.zip

I''ll probably keep it up there until one day a year from now I realize that it is still sitting there taking up space. Anyway, check it out. I''d love any comments on it. I included some sample tilesets, but they aren''t really anything special. A tileset is just a gif (?) of a bunch of 16x16 pixel squares in a ?x? grid.

#5 javanerd   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 February 2000 - 10:57 PM

I''ve gotta advertise my own (pre alpha) level editor that can handle 32-, 16- or 8-bits per tile levels and has user defined tilesize. You can find it and the source for it at:
http://www.gamedev.net/hosted/javanerd/gridder.asp

It also uses JFC/Swing and is runnable on Java 2 runtimes. It''s still missing the ability to place monsters and the level format documentation is missing...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS