Wave Formula

Started by
16 comments, last by hundel 22 years, 1 month ago
I''ve browsed the water tutorials. They work for wave "noise". How about coastal waves - something you could surf on? No, I''m not writing a surfing game :^/
Advertisement
By the way, an overhang is not a strict requirement, so heightmap-based solutions may be acceptable. For example, the algorithm could have the waves "foam-over".
Anyone out there who wants to help a stupid guy?
Well you can always make a height map or a bump map based on two or more images (like this one and this one) then interpolate between the images over time and at the same time moving them in the wave direction. How to simulate the waves hitting the shore.. hmm im not sure but you could just ad a fading sine wave on top of the bump/height map goin the other way but I havent tried that so im not sure how it''ll look.

Where can I get info on creating a heightmap from an image?
If you''re using OpenGL, check out NeHe''s lesson #35!
/Ksero
Thanks. This will help as an alternative to my terrains too, which were previously randomly generated without structured input. :^\

I will try to keep you posted on the approach and any other suggested alternatives.
Just to let you know, grayscale BMPs are convient for heightmap because there are so many tool to make them. SimCity terrain editor are probably your best bet if you go that way...
Any smart guy out there with a MATH based solution?
hello;

After i made my engine to be able render a surface mappend on a 2Dim grid i was playing with some formulas (for ex. z=f(x,y)=sin(x) + sin(y)). Try to add a value (-2pi..2pi - increased by a constant) at every point on the Grid.
I think its a phase-shift.
it looks very funny.

download
this

u''ll need the jdk1.3
type java -jar _3dPlotter.jar

rotate the scene with right mbutton;
translate it with the left one.

-thanks to bush for destroying my childrens world-
-stop that madness-
unwritten letters

This topic is closed to new replies.