• Create Account

opengl draw optimization problem

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 dirtydevil   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 February 2000 - 02:17 AM

I am reading ase files and drawing on my game with GL_TRIANGLE, so I want to optimize the render time. I have made a version with TRIANGLE_FAN, where I first analize the mesh and see an optimal combination of fans, so it runs now twice faster. Thats fine, but I realized after (stupid me) that the texture is completely wrong, because the pivot vertex never change its texture parameters... Well, can I fix it with TRIANGLE_STRIP or any other way? How? How the engines make that? Or I am just a stupid newbe and everybody uses just TRIANGLES? Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Spellbound   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 February 2000 - 03:26 AM

The best thing you can do is to use vertex buffers, and then draw triangle lists that index into the vertex buffer.

I don''t know how to do it in OpenGL so you will have to ask someone else.

#3 dirtydevil   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 February 2000 - 11:50 PM

This kind of optimization I hame made already (with display lists, same as vertex buffers). What I want is another kind of optimizations, such as FANS or STRIPS, beyond the vertex buffers...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS