• Create Account

[java] What editers do you use?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

#1 eqs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 February 2000 - 05:20 AM

Ive been curious since i started learning Java about using an editer. At the moment i use notepad + DOS for everything. Ive tried jpad, and wasnt really impressed. Is MSJ++ worth getting? I was wondering what real Java programmers used. PEACE GAZZ

Sponsor:

#2 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9386

Posted 23 February 2000 - 07:09 AM

Mostly notepad in Win9x/NT and pico in *NIX. For compiles (in Win9x/NT and *NIX) I use make to organize my projects. I personally don''t think MSVJ++ was worth my money.

#3 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 February 2000 - 07:12 AM

I use pfe32. It''s a text editor but with nice shortcuts and features. No code hilighting or anything, but it''s fast, supports multiple windows, macros, multiple undos. I use it for all my coding.

#4 joeG   Members   -  Reputation: 172

Posted 23 February 2000 - 08:12 AM

If I didn''t get JBuilder with Borland Builder 4 Pro, then I would probably be using PFE right now. I just love code completion (...done right...)

JoeG

#5 Jerry Lynn   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 February 2000 - 10:16 AM

I use JBuilder 3 Enterprise Edition for Windows and JBuilder 3 Foundation for Linux. I have been using JBuilder in Windows since version one, and I have for the most part been happy with it (despite the occasional rough spots). I have just started playing with the Foundation edition, so I can''t really say anything about it.

#6 Aldacron   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 3054

Posted 24 February 2000 - 01:58 AM

I use Visual J++ 6 for toying around with ideas sometimes (just because I have it). It takes some getting used to, but once you do it really isn''t all that bad. I stay away from the form editor because it only works with the Windows specific stuff and not AWT/Swing.

I tried Supercede but didn''t like all the excess code it generated. Also PowerJ Learning Edition, it was okay.

I tried Java Workshop as well, and it was just too slow for my tastes. The cursor couldn''t keep up with my typing, which was really annoying.

So basically I tend to stay away from IDEs for my real work. I use WinEdit, a shareware editor I picked up a while back. Syntax highlighting is all I really care about. Think I''ll check out JBuilder, though.

Oh, and I really liked Kawa when I tried it last year.

#7 guybrush   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 February 2000 - 02:21 AM

i rather fond of vi for all of my programming and text-based editing...it''s rather complex, but not as much as people think it is. once you get the hang of it, it''s really rather powerful.

but then i prefer console stuff to GUI stuff anyway.

-----------------------------------------
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 24 February 2000 - 03:05 AM

I use XEmacs under both Windows and UNIX environments, with full support for syntax highlighting and indentation.

http://www.xemacs.org

/Pär, Sweden

#9 eqs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 February 2000 - 04:30 PM

Ok, i see that theres no ''dominating'' editer in use by Java programmers. So my question now becomes:
''How much easier is it to debugging when using an editer or using DOS?''
For example you write a GUI, and its got a layout manager with multiple panels and stuff in it. Is it easier to do that Visually? Like with VB? Ive toyed with VB and i found it more point and click rather than code. How good is that for games?

PEACE
GAZZ

#10 deakin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 February 2000 - 06:42 PM

I use a program called EditPlus for editing - it does code highlighting, multiple windows etc. and is very handy. I use the Sun SDK to compile and view everything.

I used VB for a while but it seemed a bit too basic for me... plus everything ran real slow (although i''m sure that could be solved by a decent programmer)

- Daniel
http://sw.mtx.net/daniel/

#11 Captain Goatse   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 26 February 2000 - 01:10 AM

Hey you should try Kawa or JWorkshop, Kawa is better i think, JWorkshop has neat option to use modified Javac/Java, but I prefer Kawa because it''s overally faster...

#12 Cloxs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 February 2000 - 01:32 AM

I use vi for everything.

#13 eqs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 February 2000 - 03:48 AM

Well, im pretty much as confused as when I first asked the question. Seems theres no 1 main editer people use. Oh well, ill stick to notepad.

PEACE
GAZZ

#14 DRezz   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 February 2000 - 04:04 AM

Use Kawa if you are concerned about cost(www.tek-tools.com). Use Jbuilder if you want a decent gui builder.

DRezz

#15 Captain Goatse   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 29 February 2000 - 05:02 AM

quote:
Original post by DRezz

Use Kawa if you are concerned about cost(www.tek-tools.com). Use Jbuilder if you want a decent gui builder.

DRezz

Yeah, but I don''t see any benefits in JBuilder/Symanteks vis cafe/Visual Java (whicheveristhenewestversion), because it is so easy and efficent to create gui just with notepad, Layoutmanagers and null-layout gives everything I need and most times in game-programming you can''t use Gui builder because it just errors when it is trying to show image in code etc.

Time comes, time goes and I only am.

#16 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 29 February 2000 - 08:45 AM

Use something besides notepad. If there''s one thing these editors have in common is that they all have more to offer than notepad.

#17 eqs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 March 2000 - 02:56 PM

I got this program called Jpad off one of my Cd''s. Is it good? Ive played with it some, the most annoying thing is the damn font. Im squinting to see it!

PEACE
GAZZ

#18 glawe   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 March 2000 - 12:12 AM

Im using j++ 6.0 and are VERY comfortable with it, the only downside it has is that you have to all the gui-code manually,

/Fredrik Glawe

#19 Smoo   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 March 2000 - 03:22 PM

Well I''m also using VJ++ 6.0 but the only problem that I have with it is some default packages weren''t installed with it (such as javax or graphics2D which I could really use). I downloaded a proggy that can import the packages but it can only import cab and zips. Does anyone know where/how to get these extra packages?

Besides that, I don''t have any problems with it.

Smoo

PS When you say "real programmers"... well count me out =P

#20 Jim_Ross   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 March 2000 - 02:50 AM

You can download the jdk. It has all the necassary classes and it includes a java runtime environment.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS