• Create Account

Elementary Question: how to modify an array of points?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 jamesH   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 February 2000 - 07:10 AM

I am trying to write basic operation of 3d vectors represented by arrays. float pointa[3]={2.0f, 1.5f, 3.0f}; float pointb[3]={2.4f, 2.9f, -0.5f }; float pointc[3]; Given pointa and pointb, I want to make pointc to be the sum of pinta and pointb by using a function with pointers or reference (not by return value). What I want is like: void Add(float pointp[3], float pointq[3], float* out) { out[0] = pointp[0] + pointq[0]; out[1] = pointp[1] + pointq[1]; out[2] = pointp[2] + pointq[2]; } But even if I write Add(pointa, pointb, pointc); it seems pointc does not become the desired sum; What's wrong with this? If I write void AddVersion2(float pointp[3], float pointq[3], float & out0, float & out1, float & out2) { out0 = pointp[0] + pointq[0]; out1 = pointp[1] + pointq[1]; out2 = pointp[2] + pointq[2]; } then AddVersion2(pointa, pointb, pointc[0], pointc[1], pointc[2]) should work, but I want to avoid the long parameters. But how can I write simpler function using array? If I use a struct for definition of a 3d-vector (x, y, z components) and if I write a simple function like Add(pointa, pointb, pointc) by reference, then it works. Should I avoid array representation of 3-d points? James Edited by - jamesh on 2/23/00 1:19:58 PM

Sponsor:

#2 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9559

Posted 23 February 2000 - 07:17 AM

Uh, the code worked fine under my compiler....

#3 jamesH   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 February 2000 - 07:24 AM

Really? I will try again. There might be something wrong with my codes other than Add.

Thanks for quick reply.

#4 trixter   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 February 2000 - 09:03 AM

the code looks fine to me.

try it with

void Add(float* pointp, float* pointq, float* out)

just for kicks

#5 jamesH   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 February 2000 - 05:38 AM

Sorry for my first post. Now I recognised my problem. My problem is how I can modify multi-dimensional array by passing it into function. Please let me restate the problem:

Float VectArrayA[100][3]; //array of vectors
Float VectArrayB[100][3]; //array of vectors
Float VectArrayC[100][3]; //array of vectors

Suppose VectArrayA and VectArrayB are already assigned values. Then I want to assign values for VectArrayC as sum of VectArrayA and VectArrayB, i.e.,

I want to write a code for a function so that, for each k and j,

VectArrayC[k][j] = VectArrayA[k][j]+ VectArrayB[k][j]

by passing VectArrayC in to the function (not a return value of the function). I am very confused about this problem.

James

Edited by - jamesH on 2/25/00 11:47:53 AM

#6 Spellbound   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 February 2000 - 05:59 AM

Write it like this

void Add(float *out, float *vecA, float *vecB, int length)
{
for( int n = 0; n < length*3; n++ )
{
out[n] = vecA[n] + vecB[n];
}
}

Of course this requires that each element in the array is three floats long.

#7 jamesH   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 February 2000 - 04:02 AM

Thank you. That is the way to go.
James

Edited by - JamesH on 2/27/00 10:05:32 AM

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS