Delphi vs. Java

Started by
1 comment, last by Brobanx 22 years, 1 month ago
Probably the only time you''re gonna see THAT title in a post here =/. I''ve been doing a lot of C++ lately, and I just find that doing sort of GUI is made miserably complicated and sloppy, especially when using MFC! Since it would take me FAR too long to make any decent class library for my own C++ GUI, I''ve been trying to decide between higher level languagues for editing / tools for my games. I''ve started in Java, and I rather enjoy it''s simplicity, but I don''t like it''s automatic garbage collection, lack of templates, and the fact that I can''t store primitives in the collection classes, and have to constantly downcast from class Object whenever receiving anything in a collection. Hopefully Java 1.5 will help fix that, but I can''t wait on 1.5 for any of my projects. Also, the GUI elements of Java ARE quite slow, and I will be needing a lot of speed from my editors. I have been looking for alternatives to Java (C# is out of the question, I''m a punk with no money for VS.net and I don''t think MS has a free compiler...) and have stumbled across Delphi. Since performance is a concern, I''m wondering how would a complicated GUI app (let''s say something big like Photoshop / Word) compare in speed when programed in Java / Delphi / C++? Also, what are the major differences between Java / Delphi, in terms of portability, performance, available libraries, and compilers (not IDEs, I''ve got this really nice text editor ?
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Brobanx
(C# is out of the question, I''m a punk with no money for VS.net and I don''t think MS has a free compiler...)

I believe that the .NET Framework SDK includes a C# compiler.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I have used both Delphi, Java and C++ (with MFC) for GUI apps and by far the easiest to use is Delphi, as it is designed for this purpose.

Delphi, as you may know, uses OO Pascal and as such is compiled. Compile times under Delphi usually take only a fraction of the time of a C++ compile and the compiler is well written. The latest version comes with a LOT of components to get you started and websites like www.torry.net provide contributions from the community also. OpenGL headers are available (they come with it as standard) although they may be outdated. The Delphi JEDI project converts API''s and headers from other languages into Delphi for use in programs.

Delphi also lacks templates like Java, but is faster when running and compiling than Java, and has no garbage collection.

You may also want to take a look at C++Builder from Borland also, this allows you to use the same principles as Delphi, dragging a component onto a form and writing events for it, but using C++ instead of Pascal. Many of the files are interchangeable between C++Builder and Delphi anyway, certainly most components are anyway.

Java is also nice, but Borland JBuilder in my opinion is a little bit shitty.

HTH.

dMDI

"I don''''t know with what weapons the third world war will be fought, but I know the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones." Einstein
"I don''t know with what weapons the third world war will be fought, but I know the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones." Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement