• Create Account

Heightmap in 2D, Settlers. How?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 kill   Members   -  Reputation: 146

Posted 24 February 2000 - 03:22 PM

I have a question about landscapes in 2D. I am thinking of a game engine for the strategy-like game. Games like starcraft, civilization, etc. don''t have real landscapes. My question is, how can u map tiles to different heights in 2D? How did they do it in settlers?

Sponsor:

#2 Spellbound   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 February 2000 - 12:15 AM

I don''t remember what Settlers looks like, but if you look at the early Populous series from Bullfrog it is quite easy to see how it''s done.

When rendering the tiles they are just raised according to the level they are on. To avoid gaps between levels you''ll need some tiles with slopes between the two levels.

#3 Zombie   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 February 2000 - 07:08 AM

If I remember right, landscape in Settlers was very smooth compared to Populous.

#4 Spellbound   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 February 2000 - 08:52 AM

They are. I believe they use really small hexagonal tiles for their landscapes.

#5 Zed   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 February 2000 - 11:20 AM

Settlers was made out of triangles forming a pattern on the ground with roads between the crossingpoints

#6 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 26 February 2000 - 09:01 PM

Look carefully (I still play Settlers Gold ) at the roads.
It is uses a simplefied 3D engine that draws the nice little textured polygons on the ground using the height of the three points. The roads make this obvious as the corners do not intersect correctly (a bit of overlapping).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS