do i have to learn assembly also?

Started by
1 comment, last by nbulic 22 years ago
hello people when creating good and fast 3d engine do i have to know asembly or opengl coding is enough? Also, is game programming for game consoles different then for pc? I mean, what language is used for consoles? Edited by - nbulic on March 21, 2002 2:25:11 PM
Advertisement
im still rather new so this might not be totally accurate.

i dont really kno about 3d engines, all i know is that generally assembly is used for the bits that need to be executed really fast, i don''t kno if this applies to your engine.

console games are developing using a special Software Development Kit for that particular console, which will emulate performance or something, and in many respects is similar to programming for the pc

What about me? What about Raven?
quote:Original post by nbulic
when creating good and fast 3d engine do i have to know asembly or opengl coding is enough?

You don''t have to know or use assembly.

quote:Also, is game programming for game consoles different then for pc? I mean, what language is used for consoles?

Generally, the same languages are used (C, C++, Java). See the main page for a news item on VectorC{PS2:VU}. The difference lies in the compilers, exuction environments and executable formats. Architectural differences may also require you to think and write code differently.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement