Using Classical Music in a game (Legal issues)

Started by
6 comments, last by NickBischoff 22 years, 1 month ago
Seeing as my last topic was deleted (GDnet needs to actually specify why they do these things, spent half an hour looking for my topic. Anyway, my question is, what are the legal ramifications of using old classical music like bach etc, in your game. Who owns copyright? Does the estate own it or does it expire after a few 100 years?
Advertisement
Google?

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
It wasn't deleted, it's here:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=86577

Just click on "watch this thread" at the top of the posts to add it to your GDNet bookmarks. I've found these things very handy.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

[edited by - siaspete on March 24, 2002 3:48:12 AM]
My bad, thanks for the link siaspete.
Oluseyi; Yes Google, what about it? This is a music forum for goodness sake, maybe you should search for that ( I see the link is in you sig).

[edited by - NickBischoff on March 24, 2002 8:50:34 AM]
quote:Original post by NickBischoff
Oluseyi; Yes Google, what about it?

You could probably find information on legal dispute/fair use/general use of classical pieces in modern works. You could also find out exactly who owned what copyrights, if they had expired, etc etc.

I didn't want to have to spell it out for you, but since you chose to be obtuse...

[Edit: Any particular reason you cross posted? Netiquette demands that you state so whenever you do; it helps to prevent responders from getting confused.]

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

[edited by - Oluseyi on March 24, 2002 9:01:22 AM]
I''m not really sure Google would help much here. I think Nick did the right thing by posting.

He never asked something blatantly searchable.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

>Netiquette demands that you state so whenever you do

"Above- Seeing as my last topic was deleted (GDnet needs to actually specify why they do these things, spent half an hour looking for my topic."

I moved your post. The subject matter was about copyright (the fact that it is music is incidental really) and therefore it belonged more in the Business forum. In fact, a search of the Business forum would have shown this question to have been answered once or twice in the last month. (Or at least it should do, as I remember the threads myself.)

I don''t have time to post a comment on each thread explaining why I move them, because quite frankly, too many people just post in whichever forum they feel like, or the forum they think gets read the most. I probably move about 20 or more posts a day. If you ''lose'' your thread, check your profile for a link to it. If it''s there, it got moved. If it''s not there, it probably got deleted.

Please respond to this thread in the other forum - link given above. Cheers.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement