Help! Cannot run executables anymore!

Started by
7 comments, last by bosjoh 24 years, 1 month ago
Somehow Windows (win98) removed the executable (.EXE) file association. How can I put it back? It just keeps asking for a program, but there ISN''T a program needed for that. ARGH!
Advertisement
Wow, I''m sorry, I don''t have an answer for you, but I just had to comment saying that is one of the weirdest things I''ve ever heard.

Gotta love MS.

bcj
It might be as simple as selecting the file, pressing F2 and retyping the name with an .exe at the end..... or....

Has windows removed lots of extensions from other files?
ex: bmp, txt, doc

If that's the case then you go:
view menu (in any windows window)
folder options
view tab
unclick "hide file extensions for known types"

Second scenario:
If your only missing the exe from programs, then most likely your not looking at a program, your looking at a windows link to the actual program exe(which is located somewhere else on your hard drive) just right click it and select properties and itll say where the real file is

third scenario:
youve angered the bill gates demon and youve been inflicted with any number of microsoft hexes, curses or otherwise bad computer mojo

One person said that the games industry is "a transfer of funds from the rich to the lucky"

Edited by - Atavist on 2/26/00 6:35:02 PM
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
I suggest you put the Win98 CD in your cd, boot with your cd (if you can) and reinstall Win98 ontop of the old version.

That will keep almost all your settings (desktop icons, start menu items, DLL files) intact while it fixes most problems with registry and stuff like that.
I do that all the time, and I mean all the time =)

Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
That happened to me a few weeks ago. During my tech support call, they had me put the registry back a few days. I wish I remembered how to do it. Call tech support

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
Thanks,
I will try to reinstall windows (again).
i know it''s not a permanent solution, but when it asks you what program you want to use to run it, it may give you the option of just saying that the file you clicked on is itself a program (which is of course the case).. and how did you use your browser to make this post? on your computer or another?

oh, and Atavist, microsoft doesn''t hex those it''s angry with, it places curses (also known as memory leaks and constant crashes, and the infamous ''blue screen of death'') on it''s patrons.. funny way to do business, no? seems to work, though..
It is solved now.

Fuzzyai: I ran netscape by clicking on an html-file. See, it could run programs that were associated to a file-format, by clicking on a file of that format. But it couldn''t run executables all by itself.
Just restore your regsitry. Back up your system.* and then rename system.bak or system.001 to system.dat.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement