• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

DirectPlay Overhead

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 JonShute   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 March 2000 - 03:48 AM

I know it is conventional wisdom that DirectPlay adds overhead to the connection but I was wondering if anybody had actually verified this? Does anybody know of any hard data to support this? The reason I''m asking is that I am about to evaluate DirectPlay for a project and I don''t want to reinvent the wheel if I can''t help it.

Sponsor:

#2 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9662

Posted 03 March 2000 - 07:34 AM

Running a simple chat program (64 bytes of data sent per packet) in a basic sockets implementation versus a directplay implementation, directplay showed a 6-10% network bandwidth overhead according to a packet sniffer. This was run over seven trials, hence the variable overhead number. To make it a more real trial we used a subnet where five guys were playing Quake2, but there was no other traffic.

#3 DeVyle   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 March 2000 - 08:15 AM

SiCrane in your tests did you turn off the DirectPlay IDTag and automatic messaging features? I cannot think of any reason why there would be that much overhead if you turn off the extra features.

Eagerly awaiting your response,

Nick V. Caldwell
MIT c\o ''03
nvc@mit.edu

#4 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9662

Posted 03 March 2000 - 08:59 AM

Here are the flags used:

IDirectPlay::Send was called as unsigned, unencrypted but guaranteed.
IDirectPlay::Receive was called with no flags.

DPSESSIONDESC2 structure was create with DPSESSION_CLIENTSERVER, DPSESSION_NODATAMESSAGES, DPSESSION_NOMESSAGEID.

The chat program was run with 10 clients. Each client ran a script that sent 1000 lines of text and joined/left 10 times. Each client computer ran the same script in both DPlay and Winsock. However each client computer ran a different script.

#5 JonShute   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 March 2000 - 12:32 AM

I think I feel a detailed investigation coming on.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS