• Create Account

Question from the hopelessly ignorant!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Arek the Absolute   Members   -  Reputation: 348

Posted 22 April 2002 - 02:50 PM

Hey, I''m trying to learn at least a little Assembly, but I figured I need to ask this first. Where''s the best place to learn Assembly code? Frankly, what I''ve read about it sounds like it works significantly different on different systems. The articles here, for instance, are in different sections, like Win32 assembly. If I read the articles there, how much will I actually be able to use elsewhere? Particularly for the Gameboy Advance, but others would be nice too. I know Assembly isn''t very portable, but is the language itself generally consistent? Is there a good site somewhere with Gameboy Advance specific Assembly tutorials? -Arek the Absolute, who hates having to ask newbie questions like this.

Sponsor:

#2 Landsknecht   Members   -  Reputation: 234

Posted 22 April 2002 - 09:48 PM

Um, not quite sure how to answer the question... But this is the WRONG forum for that. Try posting to the For Begginers section. Might get some better feedback.

Landsknecht

#3 pieman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 April 2002 - 12:51 AM

The assembly language for a particular CPU is specific to that CPU. There are common themes running through all of them so learning one CPU''s assembly language will be helpful in learning another, even if it''s just learning how to code at such a low-level.

For GameBoy Advance assembly language I suggest looking at some of the GBA homebrew development sites (www.devrs.com/gba is a good starting point). You could also try googling for information on ARM assembly (the GBA uses an ARM7 CPU). The ARM website has a load of technical docs on the CPUs that might be useful (although it isn''t very beginner-friendly).

Iain Hutchison
Programmer, Silicon Dreams
The views expressed here are my own, not those of my employer.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS