Games don't constitute speech

Started by
5 comments, last by Bleakcabal 21 years, 11 months ago
http://www.gamedev.net/info/news/FullStory.asp?StoryID=4150 Isnt there something that can be done against this ? Some form of protest, online campaign, letter campaign or at the least a way to inform poeple about this threat. I don''t have problems whith restrictings kids to play violent games if their parents don''t approve. What I have a problem is games, even Final Fantasy, are not considered to convey ideas, expressions and messages under the law thus would not be protected by the first amendment or constitute free speech allowing for a pretty bad legal precedent allowing censorship to "swoop in" on the industry ! WHO DO THEY THINK THEY''RE FOOLING : YOU ?
WHO DO THEYTHINK THEY'REFOOLING : YOU ?
Advertisement
Well, I''ll tell you what: There are already about 4 threads on this! =D But that doesn''t make me not want to talk to you! =D The consensus here is that most people think (and hope) that this will blow over soon, and will be appealed. If not, then I''d say that action does need to be taken in the forms of things like you say. At the very least keep an eye on what happens with this, as this will affect our lives greatly if people like Limbaugh get their way.

-=Lohrno
I agree with the legislation and think similar ordaninces should be passed around the country (by state or local government, not federal). What angers me is that Limbaugh, in one statement, threatened the constitutional rights of our industry after evaluating only four games (which incidentally don''t have much of a storyline or convey any ideas). I wouldn''t be suprised if this close minded idiot to whom his constituents entrust with the legal decisions of their community only evaluated the covers of the four games. I personally find it insulting that there are people like that representing us, and that they are so unwilling to think outside of their own closed-minded world and see that other people who they''re representing have their own needs, beliefs, and agendas. The only way to show this dipshit that he''s made an incredibly damaging and misinformed statement (which he''s probably done more than once) is to encourage his constituents to make a stand about it. They''re the idiots that are voting him in.
I have created a web-site on this matter :
http://www11.brinkster.com/gamesare/

And an online petition :
http://www.petitiononline.com/GamesAS/petition.html

WHO DO THEY
THINK THEY''RE
FOOLING : YOU ?

Wow, i''m the ninth visitor to your site.
Yeah there isnt much trafic

WHO DO THEY
THINK THEY''RE
FOOLING : YOU ?

Please don''t start multiple threads on the same topic. Go Here.
Thank You.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
-"The best way to make someone feel pain at your words is to either tell the truth, and make it sound horrid; or to tell a lie that reflects their own personal fears and resentments of themselves."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement