3D game programming contest organization

Started by
55 comments, last by Trexmaster 21 years, 11 months ago
No one has done it yet so I''ll do. This thread is for those who have ideas on how we could run a game contest that would bring out things a little more ... consistent than demos. When everyone come to an agreement, we should propose to NeHe or GameDev to host the contest. The game would have to be developped by a team and not just by one person (I don''t think one alone could even produce something from scratch approaching the state of a quite complex game within a timeline of less than a year). So go on and post your ideas !
"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
Advertisement
Well, we have talked about this in the LOTR thread so everyone who missed that, read it now :D It''s a nice idea to do and we should certainly do it..

But what is going to be te goal for the contest? Should we remake an old game.. Should we make a new game. Should al teams work on the same kind of game?

And about the teams.. how do we organize such a team. One leader who picks the other members?
The thing about remaking old games is that the game already exists. As a developer it is easier to create a design document and as a programmer it is easier to see your goals. There are also many fan sites where you could get music, concept art and so on.

I suppose the contest should be open to both remakes and new games. That should make it more interesting.
Maybe the contest can be about the team that makes the best, coolest and most 1337 TETRIS CLONE that is to find!

Atleast I think every group has to remake the same game, because otherwise it would be kinda unfair. For example if one group was to remake Pong and the other was to remake Doom

Well anyway I just wanna say that this is a great idea, even though it might be real hard to perform, I surely want to be in it!

CUselessStuff::NiftyQuote();

@mikaelbauer

Super Sportmatchen - A retro multiplayer competitive sports game project!

I think limiting the contest to just one game would reduce the number of entries.

We have to keep in mind that this really isnt a contest. Its more like a competition to see who makes the best product. The difference is that there is no prize (if teams are as big as 12 people this may be impractical).

What if NeHe posts all entries after some deadline on his site, with all the source. After all the entries are in, we get some audience to test the games and figure out whose is best. Then the best entry gets included on future NeHe cds or on some completely new cd.

This way NeHe can get some funds from our work and we get more tutorials from the competition and any new stuff NeHe decides to do with his funds.

Win Win situation
quote:Original post by llvllatrix
I think limiting the contest to just one game would reduce the number of entries.

Yep. And with more than one game we could say to other teams : "Hey it would be cool if your game include/allow this (anything) !"

We have to keep in mind that this really isnt a contest. Its more like a competition to see who makes the best product. The difference is that there is no prize (if teams are as big as 12 people this may be impractical).

What if NeHe posts all entries after some deadline on his site, with all the source. After all the entries are in, we get some audience to test the games and figure out whose is best. Then the best entry gets included on future NeHe cds or on some completely new cd.

This way NeHe can get some funds from our work and we get more tutorials from the competition and any new stuff NeHe decides to do with his funds.

Win Win situation

That''s a great idea as a reward for the contest !
I just love it. Do someone else agree ?

It is possible to code a game from scratch in less than three months but you have to be in from the beginning of the contest and to have a team developping the game, not just one person. So here is a possible team organization for 9/15 persons :
- 1/2 graphics engine programmers (one if he/she is really good, two otherwise)
- 1 sound engine programmer
- 1 input programmer
- 1/2 game logic programmer (depends on AI complexity)
- 1 network programmer (if the game has networking capabilities)
- 1/2 coordinator (to put everything up together)
- 1/2 graphics designer (depending on graphics complexity)
- 1/2 3D modeler (if needed)
- 1/2 music/fx creator

I think teams might not be composed of more than 15 members unless the coordinator/leader has a strong experience in management.
"I have questions. Questions that need answering !" - Gandalf the gray, The fellowship of the ring
llvllatrix, I think your idea is really good

And about how many and what kind of people you are going to put in the team. The list Trexmaster gave is pretty good

But maybe it would be cool to put on every task a good and a newb programmer. So you can learn really much...

And reprogramming an old game, it''s true that you have much fan sites and that sort of things so it could be an idea
After all the entries are in, we get some audience to test the games and figure out whose is best. Then the best entry gets included on future NeHe cds or on some completely new cd.

Or perhaps, by then, a snazzy new DVD, or perhaps even those new FMD discs I''ve been hearing about (14Gigs)!

I wonder what Nehe thinks about this?....
(apart from obviously a little annoyed at the mention of another contest after the marathon of the other)
Why would he be annoyed.. where very happy with the LOTR contest.. we even found it so great that we want to start another one..

If nehe don''t wants to then we host it at another place.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement