• Create Account

Test my DirectX GUI

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 CGameProgrammer   Members   -  Reputation: 640

Posted 09 March 2000 - 05:14 AM

I wrote a GUI test program that demonstrates the various capabilities of my DirectX GUI. The GUI is not open-source; it's to be used in my game creation system GameDude (in progress). Anyway, I'd appreciate it if people would download the test, and report any bugs. Whether it works or not, can you post here your DirectX version, operating system, RAM, and video memory? I know it works with some people, whereas others have not been able to run it, so I'd appreciate any help in finding out why. Download it from here: www.geocities.com/cgamedude/guitest.zip. GeoCities will claim it's a dead link if you left-click it; you have to right-click the link and select Save Target As to download it. Don't forget to unzip it with "Use Folder Names" checked. ~CGameProgrammer( );

Edited by - CGameProgrammer on 3/10/00 12:05:02 AM

Sponsor:

#2 kill   Members   -  Reputation: 146

Posted 09 March 2000 - 05:49 AM

dude, the link is broken

#3 Cygon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1156

Posted 09 March 2000 - 02:05 PM

You may want to try homepage.com (www.homepage.com).
You''ll get an ugly adress (http://myname.homepage.com) without the www part, but you have ftp access, it''s quick and you may upload any type of file.

If it doesn''t work, perhaps I can help you, I own the domain www.lunaticsystems.de, so I could place the file somewhere like www.lunaticsystems.de/cgameprogrammer/dxgui.zip or so..

-Markus-

#4 CGameProgrammer   Members   -  Reputation: 640

Posted 09 March 2000 - 06:06 PM

I edited my previous post with updated download instructions. Once again, they are:

Download it from here: www.geocities.com/cgamedude/guitest.zip. GeoCities will claim it''s a dead link if you left-click it; you have to right-click the link and select Save Target As to download it.

Don''t forget to unzip it with "Use Folder Names" checked.

~CGameProgrammer( );

#5 Mike   Members   -  Reputation: 140

Posted 10 March 2000 - 12:14 PM

Nice job on the functionality of the GUI. However, I must be honest and say that it is... well... ugly. I''m sure this is a minor point. Nice job.

#6 Cloxs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 March 2000 - 03:03 PM

Not bad, it''s a good GUI setup, but you need to work on the colors. Also, when you click GUI ABILITIES> Tab cycling, you can''t close that window.

#7 Cloxs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 March 2000 - 03:03 PM

Oh yeah, it''s good .
...Lot better than I could''ve done

"When people tell you to tell the truth, you know that their lying."

#8 Moe   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1249

Posted 10 March 2000 - 04:42 PM

Not bad. Way better than i could do. like the other guys/girls said, change the colors around

- Moe -

#9 CGameProgrammer   Members   -  Reputation: 640

Posted 10 March 2000 - 08:28 PM

Oops. The tab window was the last one I added; I guess I forgot to add the code to close it.

Also, I just used basically random colors, along with some randomly selected bitmaps that I had already drawn for the real version of GameDude. But you can change everything. Just edit GUITest.gui. You can change the colors and bitmaps... well, you can change everything, since nothing is hard-coded (except the procedure handlers, the WindowProc functions).

~CGameProgrammer( );

#10 LaughingD   Members   -  Reputation: 151

Posted 10 March 2000 - 10:32 PM

Pretty cool. One thing that I didn''t like is that I had to click every time I wanted to go to a sub menu (unless I held down the button after I clicked, and then moved over the sub menu I wanted to open, in which case I had to release the mouse button).

I liked the way all of your information is in the one gui file. I''m doing something similar, but I''ve got the information for each window in a seperate file (kind of stems from my initial implementation where I used .ini files as a stop gap), and it''s a real pain to manage them.

Anyway, seemed to work fine with an AMD K6-2 450, 128MB RAM and a 16MB TNT card.

Mark Fassett
Laughing Dragon Entertainment
http://www.laughing-dragon.com

#11 CGameProgrammer   Members   -  Reputation: 640

Posted 11 March 2000 - 06:43 PM

Heh, that was a design decision, about the menus. I hate the way Windows does it -- put the cursor over a submenu, and the sub''s automatically expanded. Because if the menu''s like this:

-- PopUp A -----------
-- PopUp B -----------

Then if I want to expand PopUp A, while I''m moving the cursor to the right to get at its submenu, if the cursor wanders over PopUp B, A is closed and PopUp B is expanded instead, and that''s annoying.

What does anyone else feel about this?

~CGameProgrammer( );

#12 kill   Members   -  Reputation: 146

Posted 12 March 2000 - 06:50 AM

Your GUI kicks some serious ass. You could probably make it commercial, if the code is flexible enough...

You plan to release it? I know I wouldn''t mind using something like that.

#13 spunge   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 March 2000 - 07:50 AM

I just tried it but it didn''t work... I got a popup saying
the DirectInput object couldn''t be created, then the
program crashed.

I''m using Win95B/DirectX 6.1 on a P133 with 48 MB RAM and a
2 MB SVGA-card. Yeah, I know...

#14 CGameProgrammer   Members   -  Reputation: 640

Posted 14 March 2000 - 05:29 PM

Spunge, the build of GUITest you have requires DirectX 7.0. It doesn''t actually need it, I just need to change a #define to allow previous versions of DirectX. The real version it should need is 5.0, or possibly 6.0. Does anyone remember what DirectDraw version is required for the gamma control?

Also, kill, I don''t plan on releasing the GUI alone. It will be embedded in GameDude, and games for it will use the GUI, with their own .gui files.

~CGameProgrammer( );

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS