Gravity on an inclining plane

Started by
6 comments, last by Gammastrahler 21 years, 11 months ago
hi, i have a question: if i jump my character up, the gravity pulls him down again, so far so good. but when i climb an inclining plane, say, 75 degrees, then it is normal that i can only move a little bit up until a force pulls me down (you see this in games like unreal). is this a gravity force or a friction force? and how can i calculate this force and how it is applied to my movement vector? thanks! Gammastrahler
Advertisement

I''d say they''re modelling gravity (dragging the player down) and a _lack_ of friction on the inclining plane (the player can''t keep traction).

But its also game mechanics/design, to prevent the player getting to the border of the level, or a hidden area, or a poorly modelled area.
---------"It''s always useful when you face an enemy prepared to die for his country. That means both of you have exactly the same aim in mind." -Terry Pratchett
I'm awful at physics, have a look.. no idea if its ok or not.. I'm sure someone will correct me if it isn't

As you can see the player isn't going up the slope any time soon with a forward motion of 400~N.

You could expand on it further with the formula F=ma.

[edited by - Zanthos on May 17, 2002 4:46:55 PM]
@Zanthos:

thanks, that helped me a lot!! now i have a good imagination and can start to code it.

i´m not an expert but i thought that the mass can be ommited, is this true?

thanks
Gammastrahler
I wouldn''t think so, because:

Force = mass * acceleration, acceleration is gravity

Up is positive on my diagram, force due to gravity acts down perpendicular to the plane, so its negative:

Force = 70kg * -9.8 Sin75

The force will depend on the object''s mass, but the acceleration won''t.
Use 70*-9.81sin75 for the parallel component and 70*-9.81cos75 for the perpendicular component.
Beer Hunter''s right. Unless forces are your current method for moving stuff, you can throw the 70kg out the window and just use the acceleration.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement