Best route to go VC++ and ???

Started by
3 comments, last by green_guy 21 years, 11 months ago
I have Visual Studio Professional 6.0 sp5, the DirectX SDK, etc. I want to be able to use VC++ (I think) don''t want to use VB 6 (I know; no offense). I have just discovered the wonderful world of game studios (3D Gamestudio, Power Render, Dark Basic, etc.). I have researched various plusses and minuses of ability versus flexibility etc. What I want is an assistance to development, but I want to be able to use VC++ without having to know all the mathematics to create a whole 3D engine. To be honest, I believe it would probably be beyond me at this point...so hopefully, you understand where I am coming from and can assist me. Thank you.
Advertisement
The usual suggestion here is to start at the bottom and work your way up. If you try to do a 3D game right away, you will be in way over your head. Do some simple games first like pong, testris, etc... Then head over to NeHe''s site to learn OpenGL, or NeXe to learn Direct3D.

I don''t know if there is any product that will do the middle ground approach that you are looking for.

You might want to search head over to SourceForge and look for Crystal Space. It is an open source 3D engine. It might be what you are looking for.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"Commmmpuuuuterrrr.." --Scotty Star Trek IV:The Voyage Home
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
One thing I forgot to mention was I am looking for a simulation type engine. I want to make games like Roller Coaster, Zoo Tycoon, Sim City etc. no first person shooters, so I really don''t know if it counts as "3D" Any ideas?
Clickteam Jamagic has a 3d enegen (not brillian, but good), and can open DLLs. C++ and Jamagic is usally a good mix.

www.clickteam.com
===========Jack!!!!!!
Another point is that I do not really know about all that is involved in a simulation type game like the tycoon series games. I haven''t been able to find a lot of information. I have found more information about RPG style games and real time strategy (freecraft doesn''t support xp sorry to say), so I am kind of stuck for the moment. Thanks for the link.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement