To all the students out there:
Are you interested in applying your coding skills and rendering / image processing / machine learning experience to some other field than game development? How about being a Google Summer of Code student this summer, working 3 months coding, and earning 5500 USD?
At the Heidelberg Collaboratory for Image Processing we're developing an Open Source tool called ilastik that is used by Biologists to analyze terabytes of data coming from advanced microscopes. We proposed a set of ideas to the Google Summer of Code program where students are paid to work on selected Open Source projects because we are looking for talented programmers who want to contribute to software used at the bleeding edge of neuroscience and developmental biology.
Possible project ideas related to ilastik:
- Use OpenGL for blending layers in Volumina
- Improve 2d/3d object browser in volumina
- Multiscale views based on pyramids in volumina
Software infrastructure projects
- User Experience Improvements in ilastik
- VIGRA Java bindings
- Parallelization of the VIGRA library
Image processing projects
- Lazy connected components in VIGRA
- Image features for machine learning in VIGRA
Detailed descriptions available here. If you're interested, get in touch with us now - application deadline is March 21st!