(1) choose a tool for making a simple game
(2) make the game
(3) finish the game
(4) oh, wait, I learned a whole lot of stuff required to make a game and my friends stop talking when they play it
(5) rinse and repeat, solving increasingly more complex problems in increasing more complex games that you finish
(6) be an expert game developer (which includes programming, designing, maintaining, promoting, etc)
(1) play with some tool
(b) switch to a different tool
(d) monkey around with tools
(5) dabble at starting to make several games
(6) browse the internet (heh heh, dem kittehz, oh look if I were a haircut I'd be a mullet!! lulz)
(4) go make coffee and message your friends about how lame they are for using some arbitrary tool for finishing their games
(6) play the games your friends have finished
Choose one of the above options. I, personally, would recommend the first one but the second is very popular.
Nevermind, I totally did not read the post before I commented.
Go with option 1.