I was emailed a Kotaku article yesterday. Apparently, Anita Sarkeesian has went from just critiquing games to trying to make game devs change them to how she thinks they should be done. The author of the article paraphrased the list:
- Avoid the Smurfette principle (don't have just one female character in an ensemble cast, let alone one whose personality is more or less "girl" or "woman.")
- "Lingerie is not armor" (Dress female characters as something other than sex objects.)
- Have female characters of various body types
- Don't over-emphasize female characters' rear ends, not any more than you would the average male character's.
- Include more female characters of color.
- Animate female characters to move the way normal women, soldiers or athletes would move.
- Record female character voiceover so that pain sounds painful, not orgasmic
- Include female enemies, but don't sexualize those enemies