I am a self taught Graphics/Shader programmer. In India, we don't get luxury of having university courses dedicated to Games or Graphics. By the time you get good at math, you don't even know why you are doing Laplace's transfom & where it is used in pratice... Its just the fact that "How is this done?" made me take up graphics programming & C++ to learn new exciting stuff ...
My Story so far ...
1. Get overwhelmed by seeing what people have been doing, wondering how they did it
2. Study, take each topic at once, there is a huge mountain to climb & you always start at the base
3. Get more overwhelmed as each day passes by
4. Study more, implement stuff, keep learning
5. Even more overwhelmed
6. Tell it to yourself that one day you will reach there .... (After all , this journey has been awesome knowing there is still so much to learn ! )