Hello there, I'm eezstreet. For the past 8 months, I have been working on my own isometric ARPG from scratch. Currently there's nothing more to show than concepts and programmer art, but you can chalk this up to a lack of artists - I've been going it alone for the moment. ;) Haven't found much in the way of artists using the classified section, but I'm remaining hopeful that I'll find someone soon.
My game is titled Rapture. My main source of inspiration is Diablo II. Although there are new games like Path of Exile, Diablo III, and Torchlight, I never felt like there was a true spiritual successor to the game. I've decided to go back to the game's roots and focus more on RPG elements instead of a loot-n-grind experience. In the game, you'll travel across a nightmarish, post-biblical-apocalyptic Earth, which is now being ravaged by demons. Your goal is to either ascend to heaven or defend mankind as it forges a new beginning.
For right now, there is no lighting, sound, or multiplayer, but they are all planned. Currently I am working on learning some OpenGL so I can simulate 3D lighting and optimize the renderer even further. I really want to focus on having an engrossing and engaging world, as I feel that's where many of the "Diablo-clones" fail. I aspire to inspire horror, fear, and disgust in those who are brave enough to complete the game.
Here is a few gameplay screenshots, from a debug build of the game:
Here is a concept of an area which was drawn up for me:
The engine was built in C++ and is using SDL. I've open-sourced the game under the GPL (currently have to apply the license though!). If anyone wants to help out with the art, feel free to shoot me an email (eezstreet at live dot com). Anyone can clone/fork my repo here:
- SDL-based rendering
- C++ powered engine, uses JSON data files which can integrate into UI
- Priority-based error logging and message dispatch system
- Multiple file searchpaths
- Codebase split between engine and gamecode, can run "programs" (games/editors) from DLL files using import/export system
- Uses render-to-texture exclusively; capable of displaying hundreds of objects onscreen without cracking 100 FPS
- Modular renderer
- Designed from the ground-up with mods in mind
- (Able to be rather easily ported to) Linux and Mac
- Ingame console with cvars and commands a la Quake 3 or Unreal Engine. Supports Unix-style copy/paste (select to copy, right click to paste)
Feel free to use it as a framework for your own iso 2D projects or anything, as long as you adhere to the GPL I don't really care.