Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!


1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!


mind in a box

Member Since 20 Apr 2010
Offline Last Active Yesterday, 03:13 PM

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Half-texel offset in DirectX 11 to fix a "blurry" image

06 June 2015 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for the thread, didn't even knew I had this problem as well in my engine! Text is so much better now :)


In Topic: Particle Distortion Effect

10 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

I am actually the one who made and uploaded the video. The world is small wink.png

 

The Effect in the video is archived by doing exactly what Eric Rufelt suggested: Have the backbuffer accessable in a shader and write it to another rendertarget by applying a small modification of the UV-Coords of that pixel. You can try with a static texture first.

 

For the particles I used another buffer to accumulate the displacement-vectors from the different particles (Using MRTs). I'm using the center of the particles and the luminosity of the texture to calculate the displacement-vector. This is then written to my distortion-buffer using additive blending, which gives a nice effect without the need of normalmaps or similar textures, since the game doesn't supply those

 

You should try to get the distortion-effect running for something simpler first without many overlaying triangles first. This makes things really easier.


In Topic: ConstantBuffer is leaking memory after release

12 March 2015 - 08:24 PM

I know about that. The strange thing is, that this allocated memory persists, even after a call to Present, which flushes the pipeline as far as I know.

One user made me aware of this because he ran out of memory after loading a save-file 20 times.

 

I guess I'll have to do more tests with this tomorrow or something. Maybe something else is badly screwing up there.


In Topic: ConstantBuffer is leaking memory after release

12 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

Well, I boiled it down to repeatedly adding and removing an object many times first. I then have two different kinds of objects I have to deal with. One with has this constantbuffer and one which has none at all, just POD, and with that one everything is fine.

 

But when running the test with adding and removing an object of said object-type (at load time, in the actual app-code), the memory consumption started to grow.

I then went and narrowed it down to a constant buffer, and then further down to this code, because I was thinking about my wrapper doing something wrong.

 

Now, the test-code I posted is ran right before the actual object would be loaded.

 

Every of such objects have that constantbuffer, and it fills the memory quite well if you have about ~10000 objects going through there on every load of a savegame.


In Topic: Rendering a lot of different geometry

26 January 2015 - 06:12 PM

It actually became a problem when the game ran slower on my weaker laptop then it did with the original render.

 

But actually I just got a decent performance boost by just using straight forward instancing! I'm happy with the performance how it is now. Thanks for your time :)


PARTNERS