Unrelated issue: Typically you shouldn't load images every frame, you should load images once and then store them someplace where you can repeatedly use them.
Oh, thanks for that. Fixed that up and now it only loads the once.
That depends entirely on your API and language, though it looks like you already figured that out.
That actually still seems to be my problem, after some troubleshooting I've noticed that none of my if statements actually get called. So I must have done something wrong with that. I'm using Java with the LibGdx API so I'll keep looking for something about that. I also changed the if statements so that they increment diagonally as well.