I'm in a bit of a beginners pickle. I'm looking to make my first somewhat complex game, and I don't know where to start. I have programming experience, and I know what I like. Of all the choices of graphics libraries, game types, etc..., what do I do?
Big picture is:
- based on Newtonian laws and simple physics
- dark look, stress reliever, tad of goofyness
- Astronomy Theme
- full screen mode, with bit-wise graphics control, C++
- 3 month commitment and Open Source as much as possible.
- Accessibility, i.e, not quick mouse movements or keystrokes.
- mostly 2D with my personal 3D transformations.
- short list of programming libraries, preferably a graphics library and audio library at most.
What are some games to try to model after? Does anyone have any planning tips? I know a tad bit of UML, would that be too much to try to use?