Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account


Member Since 28 Oct 2011
Offline Last Active Oct 06 2015 02:23 AM

Posts I've Made

In Topic: How to make a 2d camera in DX?

10 February 2015 - 06:18 AM

Just construct orthographic camera matrix.

In Topic: Unity 4.5 Crossdomain.xml policy file not found

27 January 2015 - 11:20 PM

If you want to access the remote server from your game you have to host cross domain.XML file with policy description on your server on 843 port if I remember correctly. Read this for reference http://www.adobe.com/devnet/articles/crossdomain_policy_file_spec.html

In Topic: Browser game development: Flash or HTML5?

07 January 2015 - 10:30 AM

HTML5 is highly advertised technology and very hyped, but essentially it is in evolving state right now. It is not mature or stable in any way. They promised all of the Flash capabilities but good luck to see decent HTML5 games made by hobbyists (Zombotron says hi). Technology is not mature at all. A lot of browsers have issues with basic HTML5 stuff, even with Canvas, which were introduced several years ago. The situation is especially sad on smartphones, where you can only play very basic games in browser (think three in a row genre without fancy effects, poker with dozen bitmaps and so on). Anything more complex than that will kill the battery and will be rendered like a slideshow. Someone mentioned low-end devices here? Yeah, sure...


However, if we are talking about Flash technology, it is still much more performant and stable than HTML5. Asm.js may change this, but I don't see this technology being active on smartphones for 1-2 years. Not to mention that you can wrap all of your Flash games into AIR applications, which can be freely run on any mobile device with ARMv7+ if I recall right. And you can do it right now with almost no restriction on fancy effects and mechanics. Especially considering the fact that AIR applications can utilize the power of mobile GPU, which is more performant and battery-friendly.

In Topic: Rendering blurred progress lines

23 December 2014 - 03:55 AM


Each image is only a single texture with alpha transparency.


The bottom two can be done with a single image that you rotate around its center. The bottom-left is rotated smoothly, the bottom right is rotated in larger jumps of degrees so the dots don't actually move. (12 dots = 360/12 = rotated 30 degrees each step).


The top two could be as simple as a single image looping around. Imagine you are wanting to display the top line at 60%.

Split the image in two, draw the end 60% of the image first, then draw the remaining 40%.



(pardon sloppy image editing)


You're always drawing the complete image, but you're drawing it in two pieces.

Alternatively, you can draw the line, and then draw the "fireball" as a separate image, and just shift it across the line letting it go "offscreen" before a "new" fireball starts again on the left side.


The top line is drawn in smooth motion, the second line is drawn in jumps so the dots don't actually move - 13 dots, so (imageSize / 13) = amount shifted each step.


Looks like you are right, thanks for clarifying. I'm curious if this simple image horizontal movement will look too static.

In Topic: Android Game development

07 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

It is sad that you have chosen dead language in gamedev, but apparently you want to go that way. Whatever. Sadly I don't have enough time to blow all of the points which AppropriateUserName provided.


He clearly haven't seen any benchmarks, doesn't know that C++ is multiparadigm, thus you don't pay for what you don't use, doesn't know about Turing-complete compiler, templates, RTTI, RAII, lambdas and proper memory management, not rudimentary GC which will kill the app in most unpredictable way possible. Praising Eclipse - the most unstable piece of sh** I ever used. Especially compared to VS+VA. Java is for business and server apps (the later is questionable lately).


C++ will give you the power of native machine. Again, you don't have to mess with everything C++ has to offer - and it offers much more than Java - this is why most of demanding applications are written in C++. All desktop and console game clients are written with C++ and C. There is no place for Java in performance-narrow applications, such as games.