I can tell you from my personal experience, i was doubling about programing my early life 14-17 i remember trying to jump intro "Wc3 map making" but i felt little control so i wanted more of it so i "asked around" found that there is "Jass" if i still remember correctly so i started with that i remember seeing allot of writhing that made no sense.
I tried learning "Jass" but it was not possible, doing school + homeWork since its a thing where i am from, big houses and allot of dust...
A few years ago i decided what i wanted to do with my self, after i finished school, i started learning how to program, moved out, lowered my standards to everything to get maximum amount of time available.
Living low gave me allot of time and i can confess to my skill spiking immensely, but at a cost. Ive started feeling weak etc, my diet was poor.
So to conclude it all: assuming you start with 0$, got a low paying job like me:
- What is the best food diet you can achieve to stay healthy and it to be prepared quick to spend least amount of time eating/cocking.
- Exercise, or at least stretch when you wake up, it will provide allot of more pleasurable feeling while sitting on the chair staring at a monitor half a day.
- Solving the problems!!! This is where the skill lies, getting unexpected problems, and being able to solve then quickly and efficiently.
- Make a focus on particular subject, and experiment until feeling like you will remember it.
- Learn how to learn. (You may be thinking "What", but it is vital), each "human" is unique, so are you. Find tutorials/learning guide that suits your stile.
- Do not skip nor master, don't remember what you dont need. Remembering that you can do things but not knowning exactly how to make it work, in case a need for it comes you can just skim it to remind.
If you want to get good, adapt, it has to become a part of the lifestyle, going to shop "15 min walk" think about the code, plan...
I usually make up a character while on my way to shop to get goods, or a good scene to add to the game, and i do that all the time.
Know your limits tho, i had problems with focus on job, i couldnt remember 3 things boss told me in a order.
If you have great idea, write it down, chances it you will forget.
Most of all its your will, and your determination that will show your end result.