I will give another go from clean version to try and port it again.. I actually chose 2005 because i hate 2003 and it was the next iteration. A straight move to 2010 was daunting and i feel will give me more issues than i can handle at once. I figured if i can get it to 2005 correctly then i will move to 2008 and finally to 2010. That way I slowly break up the problem children.
To be honest these days everything I create is 2010 and will move as new versions are released but this particular project was an old one that needs to have many major updates. I.e. DX7 etc. So in order to do that I am trying to get my application in a managed way.
If in the end its easier to just move all the way to 2010 right off the bat thats fine but I need to look over all the libs i use to make sure they are ready for that.
So it appears I am going to have to rewrite a whole lot of my code from the vc6 version. It makes use of auto_ptr in this manner all over the place. Even when i got it to compile it started having issues with resetting the value and deleting the value. It wasn't returning what it should in a number of ways.. Once i get it all figured out I will add to this post so others know what I had to do. I tried to use a few different methods to get around the issue by rewriting the memory.h version but that obviously didn't go well. Its hard to troubleshoot until you can actually return the program to working order. Time to start looking through all that great information
I couldn't find a simple method or drop in version. It appears its going to be a big rewrite.