Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account


Member Since 27 Feb 2013
Offline Last Active Jun 15 2016 05:49 PM

Journal Entries

Tales from the Engine's Core > WIP: Week 6 -- Node.js, Scripting, Networking

Posted 24 January 2015

Hey all!

As a continuation of my last post, I decided to move onto creating some debugging/feature tools, as well as implementing a scripting language. This was basically a successful 2-for-1 special!! For me, networking and general client/server/browser work would be much simpler to do in Javascript, and should be performant enough. Though I have little...

Tales from the Engine's Core > WIP 5 -- Transparency Woes, Debugging and Refactoring

Posted 20 January 2015


So I posted the mid-week update of my transparency work earlier this past week. The results looked nice, but shortly afterwards, I realized I had some memory issues and it became a mangled mess. What was happening was I had my INDEXARRAY pointing to the array of indices stored in a VertexBufferObject in the mesh. When I passed that same array to i...

Tales from the Engine's Core > Mid-Week Update: Transparency Woes (Pictures!)

Posted 14 January 2015

Well....been working on transparency, and here's some of the hilarious results I've had through the process:

Aaaaaannnndddd.....that last one shows static sorting -- one round of sorting on generation, and that's it. Looks not too bad! When I work with movement, I've gotten a lot of flickering issues (see the crazy 4th image!); just some bugs to...

Tales from the Engine's Core > WIP: Week 4 -- Transparency

Posted 11 January 2015


I've never done transparency before. I've dealt with it in extremes (either opaque or completely transparent) but never anything in between. Because of that, I definitely had my work cut out for me this week. I posted in the forums, as well as on a couple of other places, looking for advice in simplifications I could make to the normal process o...

Tales from the Engine's Core > WIP: Week 3 -- Threading, Chunking, and Optimizations!

Posted 04 January 2015

Hello all!

This week, I begun work on the threading model for the engine. Since having a thread for each component (rendering, physics, main game loop, input, etc) wasn't feasible and left a lot to be desired for the engine, I changed it to a Fork/Join or Job model. This allows easy use of a thread pool, which is easy and intuitive to use. I created...